5.0 out of 5 stars Mindblowing, 17 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Heritage (Audio CD)
I am a big Opeth fan but not a good reviewer, so I'm just writing this to spread the love for the band.

I own all their CD's and have been a big fan for a while and I was very excited about hearing their new album.
This album blew my mind in a way I didn't think possible for Opeth, because they have already amazed me so much on their previous outings. I am a big prog fan, listening to both new and old prog, like Yes, King Crimson, Porcupine Tree, Riverside and a lot more obscure bands. That's probably why I loved this album so much. If you're not that into prog rock and love their previous CD's, this CD might confuse and disappoint you. It's not easy listening, it will challenge you. If you can embrace their new style though, you'll discover a great prog record. The sound is great on this album and their musicianship has never been better. Mikael has reached a new level with his vocals as well. I hear some mixed opinions on this CD, but if you have some trouble getting into it, open your mind, take the journey, embrace it and maybe you'll be as amazed as I am. Give it a few spins, it might grow on you if you have trouble getting into their new style.

This is already my favorite Opeth CD and I hope the rest of their fans will embrace it. I have the special edition and the Surround Mix is fantastic as well. Definitely worth buying.

Go buy this CD :)

Sorry for my english.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 17 Sep 2011 18:02:50 BDT
hey Mona,
I'd say that you are a good reviewer. Your comments are respectful to those who have a different viewpoint while expressing your own opinion. I'm a big Weather Report fan btw, so you can imagine my disbelief when I read who was a guest on this album. Personally, I don't care if this album went out under MA's own name or under Opeth's name.
It is interesting to note that while Opeth/MA are becoming less metal, Riverside's last studio album went the other way and they were criticised for that. Whatever a band does, I guess there will always be criticism!
It is interesting how the personnel has changed with MA being constant. It reminds me of how Coverdale got rid of everyone from Whitesnake in order to rework his band to crack the American market. In the end, the new band had no resemblance to the old one and the band name became one guy. Same with Opeth. Same with KC.
I guess if this is the wrong direction for the metal followers of Opeth then there is always the imminent Mastodon album to listen to! I'll be getting that one as well.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Sep 2011 21:35:03 BDT
Mona Langva says:
Thank you.
I don't know if you own the album yet, but Alex is on the documentary that comes on the DVD as well. My dad have actually played with him as well. pretty cool. There will always be people that don't like it when a band changes their formula, like Mikael says on the Heritage DVD, some fans would like them to make Blackwater Park over and over again.
I'm probably getting the new mastodon album as well. I own all their previous albums.
I liked Riverside's new direction by the way, I love all their albums.
My name is not Mona though, this is my girlfriend's account, sorry about that.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Sep 2011 12:20:15 BDT
That's okay - whatever you name is, Mr X. Playing in a band with Alex Acuna is pretty cool in my opinion.
Regs,

Lee.

Posted on 19 Sep 2011 13:09:19 BDT
Opeth is one of the few bands working today that pushes its music further with every album, and this new one is the next step in the band evolution. They will never make Blackwater Park again, because they already made it, no point of recording same thing again just to say that they are going back to their roots. They are going forward. I can't stand to listen Iron Maiden recording same album over and over again, over the past 20 years and just giving them different names.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Sep 2011 15:41:23 BDT
Mona Langva says:
I agree. At the same time it's a bit bittersweet because I loved their old formula, but like I've said, this has now become my favorite opeth album. They've expanded their music a lot, and yet, it's still Opeth. I like to be surprised by every release and I like being challenged as well as I like having some of the core sound in there. This goes for all other bands as well. I'm already thrilled thinking about what the next album will sound like.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Sep 2011 13:51:27 BDT
R. J. Tyler says:
Yes Milan AMOLAD and The Final Frontier are absolutely the same as Number of the Beast???? "Sigh"

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Sep 2011 21:47:44 BDT
ANDREW says:
Number came out 28 yr ago

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Sep 2011 20:12:31 BDT
Last edited by the author on 24 Sep 2011 11:39:15 BDT
R. J. Tyler says:
Ok if we are splitting hairs 29 years ago actually, FOTD then etc :)

Posted on 3 Oct 2011 01:30:53 BDT
Nick Green says:
Great review Mona and like myself I own all their CDs or DVDs apart from the Lamentatios one. They have become my favourite band after hunting down all their CDs over the past year, my last purchase being their first 3 albums.

Though I do find it does take repeated listens to truly appreciate the brilliance. After hearing 'Damnation' I always wanted more of just clean vocals - when I heard that Mikael was dropping the growls for this album I was over the moon (so to speak).

Again, great review and ps your English is fine!

Posted on 15 Oct 2011 09:03:58 BDT
Your English is better than most Amazon reviewers, Mona.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›