1.0 out of 5 stars tripe, 28 Dec. 2010
This review is from: SoulBoy [DVD] (DVD)
My first Northern Soul event was in Preston in 1966 and when I and several other lads (all over 55 now and whats this Soulies about?) saw the film it was the biggest load of tripe on Northern Soul ever. Since when did the Casino have talcom powder? Whats this king of the dance floor as not one one of the dancers there would have survived in the 60s and early 70s. And why is there such a 'song and dance' on drugs: only sado's and no hopers and those who could not dance took those. The all nighter was between 2-6 not 2-8. Keep the Faith? Thousands of us would rather 'Line Dance' or Jack it in, rather than suffer any more of this tripe.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 29 Dec 2010 02:46:25 GMT
Last edited by the author on 29 Dec 2010 02:47:23 GMT
A. Foss says:
I expect a rant rather than any kinda debate judging by this "review" but thar ya go? I didn't think that 'Northern Soul' as it became was around in 1966? Unless you call being a Soul Fan & from the North [as I am too!] in the 60s being classed as "Northern Soul". However the genre wasnt established, as I remember till the much later 60s/earlier 70s - & yes, course a lot of the discs - as the genre grew rapidly - were 60s tracks.
All-nighters' timing depended on where you went e.g. Palais in Nottm went from 12-6 or 8am & differed as did Colemans who I cant remember doing as many but admit I may be wrong there?
As for our precious 'Casino' [loved Blackpool's Mecca myself but, again, its up to the individual anyway/anywhere] remember hearing of a lot of bland pop music being played there e.g The Dooleys [heard on my 1-&-only visit] & er, Barry Manilow's Copacabana [as did Colemans the latter] cant remember what 'Casino' DJ said to the effect that if it had "the" beat - it'd be played..by way of an explanation!?! I didnt take drugs but if I heard that regular - I might've needed 'em too???
Much of what you say could possibly be challenged by Soulies from different Northern towns so maybe you shoulda took a chill pill [oops bad choice of words..] & just enjoyed a trip down someones Memory Lane with a fair soundtrack - if you want badly produced garbage from someone with his own ideas of recreating the scene of 'back in the day' [BADLY!] then get anything produced by Ian Levine! Then you'll be really scraping the "tripe" barrel!!! Have A Good 'Un & KTF!

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Dec 2010 14:28:47 GMT
I agree, want the real tripe, then look no further than Ian Levine garbage, personally i do not think you know anything about the scene, i was on it and the film Soulboy is pretty accurite to how things were back in the day, but i suppose you never practiced dancing at home before the night as a teenager as you were probably too busy sitting on the fence ?

Posted on 2 Jan 2011 15:35:00 GMT
C. Yemm says:
1 in 1966 it was called the rare soul scene, dave godin coined the phrase in 1968 at his london record shop
"soul city" the first allnighter to actually advertise a "northern soul" nighter was the torch, stoke on trent in 1969.
2 i have personally used talc at the casino & witnessed hundreds of others do the same thing, its used to help us
glide across the floor faster & easier, have you never heard the term "talcum soul" its means faster stomper style songs.
3 what do you mean "would not have survived" its not afghanistan mate. at the casino, the better the dancer the closer they got to the decks, a sort of acrobatic pecking order if you like.
4 a great many people took drugs on the northern scene, unfortunatly i lost three mates to them, but nobody should judge kids for doing daft things, we were simply young, poor & very impressionable not sados or no hopers.
5 arguably the three most famous records to be popualrised by the casino were the "3 before 8" these three records were played just before 8am & this was closing time, where do you get 6am from.
you are such a tourist you probably need me to tell you the titles & artists of these three ultra famous masterpieces, sorry mate but you are a poser who knows nothing about wigan or the northern scene, so plese dont call yourself a soulie, its quite upsetting to the real ones.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Jan 2011 11:52:38 GMT
Last edited by the author on 3 Jan 2011 11:53:05 GMT
BV says:
Haven't seen the film yet - (am purchasing the DVD) - and I'm not argiung with anyone. But I worked in Wigan in the 1970s, and on Sundays began work at 8-30am, and used to see 100s(?) of 'Casionites' streaming down to the train stations as I went to work, so I presume the All-Nighter ended at 8-00am.

Posted on 3 Jan 2011 21:40:26 GMT
Adam Jackson says:
Im quite curious about this film, I aren't particularly into this music but being from Stoke On Trent I know that it was a big thing round here. Am I right in thinking, this was filmed in my neck of the woods?? Also aren't the main characters actually from Stoke On Trent in the film??

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Jan 2011 20:59:10 GMT
From Online Videos and what I have read, the actors live in Stoke for six months while filming, to learn who to speak "Stokie". I suppose extras were from Stoke but not the main cast. The main indoor scenes which suppose to replicate the casino were filmed in Stoke Kings Hall. And also most outdoor scenes were shot in Stoke...

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Jan 2011 21:48:19 GMT
Last edited by the author on 7 Jan 2011 15:42:37 GMT
I agree with everything you say: talc was very common, the niters finished at 8 started at 2 in the beginning then I think 12 a couple of years later. Drugs were dumb but a lot of people took them and as you say in 66 the soul scene was still the mod scene.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Jan 2011 20:30:32 GMT
Jay says:
Hear hear.... def 8am finish, ditto best dancers nr stage, talc, drugs etc.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›