2.0 out of 5 stars I'm very disappointed., 18 Feb. 2011
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Final Fantasy XIII - Platinum (PS3) (Video Game)
I've been a huge Final Fantasy fan for over 15 years. I remember that I couldn't wait for the new releases to come out and start playing them.

What makes me love Final Fantasy so much is definitely the story-line; all the deep, fantastic and full of emotions storylines. We can't even forget all those precious and timeless FF moments that stay with us forever, like the Opera Scene (FFVI), Aeris' Death (FFVII), Squall rescuing Rinoa at Lunatic Pandora (FFVIII), etc etc...

I have ALL of the FF's. I've beaten all of them. I've beaten FFVIII for 30+ times! I couldn't wait for more and more...

Final Fantasy XIII was a HUGE disappointment for me. It has been like that since FFX-2, though...but faith is the last thing to die, right?

Where's the Final Fantasy soul? While playing the game, I was getting confused and bored!... I was always thinking "Ok...when does the "fantasy" come? Now?... What about now?". Well, it didn't. I completed the game in 72 hours (!!) thinking that *maybe* I'd get some of the true FF's spirit by the ending... But, not even close!

So, if you're a true Final Fantasy fan, you'll hate that:

- FFXIII doesn't have towns...at all. You're only running in a straight line, having battles all-the-time (I can't remember batteling SO much, not even when I was trying to level up in the previous FFs!!), and just running straight...all the time. Oh, and always inside a tunel-like-place.

- FFXIII's story-line is EXTREMELY linear, EXTREMELY confusing and...BORING! For the 1st like, I don't know, 10hrs?, I didn't know what I was doing there! Nothing! I had to google for explanations!...

- The battle system is extremely...reductive. You have this "Auto Battle" option, that does everything for you (how nice) and you just need to keep hitting "X" all the time. Yay. How fun! Oh and now you have this Paradigms, that are all about the characters' jobs (classes) all reunited in a kind of, well, paradigm, to use in battle. You can switch it by hitting L1. So, battle is like: X X X X X X L1 X X X X X X X L1 X X X X X X X L1...WIN. (or not)

- Eidolons. I remember I was always so excited when I was getting a new eidolon and using it for the 1st time! Well, in Final Fantasy XIII they aren't really any good. They don't help you at all! They're useless in battles. Oh, and since you can only control ONE character (the one you set to be your main one - yes, the others are controled by the cpu) and since each character has their own eidolon, you can only see each eidolon if you switch main characters...so you can't choose whom will stick with that eidolon, or that one..

- The characters were another HUG disappointment. They're extremely reductive, linear, stereotyped and lack of personality. Remember when we used to LOVE that character or hate it because they used to be so so evil and destroy everything? Well, you really can't have any feelings towards any of these. They're completely blank.

- The cut-scenes... Oh the cut scenes. What are they all about anyway? They don't help us at all! They don't give us any storyline at all... There's not a peaceful moment when we can talk to other people (oh that's right, now towns, appart from one that you need to pass by because you REALLY have to)... Nothing.

- The music. I was so so sad to know that Nobuo Uematsu wasn't the creator or the soundtrack... Don't take me wrong, I like it! Masashi Hamauzu did an amazing work, but...where's the "Victory Fanfarre"? When I won my 1st battle I was waiting to hear it but...instead, I heard something else...very robotic, and I asked "Where is it?...". Where's the "Prelude"? Final Fantasy needs them. It's a trademark! I know, we need to change things and evolute but, those are from Final Fantasy.

What really made me so sad was also the ending. So, so so so so so so so small!!! Nothing happened at all! The FF endings use to be AMAZING! Like, in every way! I don't think there was ONE ending which I didn't cry. I was just watching it, with my mouth open and suddenly it ended and I wanted to cry. Seriously. I removed the disk and said "Is this REALLY Final Fantasy? What happened?"

Oh and guess what, the game doesn't really end after you beat the final boss. You can save it after the ending, because the last stage of the crystal-stuff pop up after the ending (wow) and you can go and do the side-quest (the only one there is...which is batteling...yay). I didn't even bother.

- Oh yes, there are NO side quests!! Oh and there are NO shops! NO Inns! Nothing!!!

...

I'm really sad that many future FF fans are only starting to play Final Fantasy now. They won't ever know what a true FF feels like. Please go a play the previous one (after before FFX). You'll see what a great FF feels and is like!

The great thing about this Final Fantasy are definitely the graffics. They're superb! Of course, I couldn't expect less from them. But...there's no soul in it. I don't care for the visual, I care for the inside!

Bring back the Final Fantasy soul! Please!!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 31 Mar 2011 21:39:05 BDT
i agree so much this game is nothing compared to the likes of the previous ones, theyve taken the whole rpg them out of it :/

In reply to an earlier post on 6 May 2011 17:36:29 BDT
stingub40 says:
this whole review is absolutely spot on!!!!!! where are the characters we love so much? barret? sephiroph ?squall?, edea? auron?, wakka?, zell? where are the sidequests which took hours to complete? the stone quest was ok, but i wanted MORE and different! WHERE'S THE STORY??????? I dint actually care about my characters in ff13. i dint care about them in the last episode either. final fantasy was a HUUUUUGE game full of stuff to do. this is pants. since square joined with Enix the final fantasy series has gone down the drain. very disappointed. will not buy anymore from this series!

In reply to an earlier post on 16 May 2011 18:15:52 BDT
Last edited by the author on 16 May 2011 18:18:10 BDT
D. HNIDA says:
Wait until FF13 Versus then make your mind up. I can tell it's gong to be great and it has all the right ingredients for a good final fantasy game. :)

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Dec 2011 22:17:33 GMT
Why would you wait on one game to decide the enjoyment of another? FF13 Versus, regardless of how good it is, will not effect how enjoyable FF13 is will it?

Posted on 30 Dec 2011 10:21:18 GMT
S. A. says:
I'm sorry you didn't enjoy FFXIII, but I for one loved it. Sure it had its flaws, especially the painful linearity and the lack of sidequests until you [SPOILER] arrive on Pulse, but even these things could be justified by the storyline. The L'Cie, your party, are the hunted, and everyone else the hunters, so to speak. [/SPOILER] How can anyone go into towns, talk to NPCs and go sidequesting if the whole world wants them dead? The game forces you to follow the storyline, because that is what this game is about. Not wandering aimlessly around vast world maps in search of new villages, caves, deserts, rare items, dangerous mobs and so on, but getting immersed in a complex, but utterly beautiful story. The combat system is much more action-oriented and I like that, it's more realistic than everyone politely waiting for the others to hit them. As for the characters... I didn't feel that way, but even if you were right, at least we have no wimpy, whiny, annoying Squall Leonhart. And yes, I was actually moved by the ending. I'd like to see Square-Enix continue in that direction, except for the tunnel-like levels and such, if possible.

For the record, I've played FFs VII-X years ago. And I voted for your review as being helpful because even though I disagree on most issues, at least you put some effort into writing this.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Dec 2011 13:44:31 GMT
Mariana Dias says:
Thanks for your reply, D!

You really have got a point there. I've written this review almost a year ago and my point of view hasn't really changed THAT much - but it has at some point. I'm really anxious to play XIII-2 because I think it will help with the story-line and since they've put some effort of changing some of the flaws, I believe it will be a good FF game.

I haven't played XIII again, yet, but I do feel like it. I just haven't because of *SPOILER* that Barthandelus second form fight...ugh. Really annoyed me the first time, so I'm kind of 'scared' now since he took me hours to beat.

Ahah I liked Squall! Actually FFVIII was (and still is) my fave FF, but I really can't say it's my favorite of all time because I love love FFVII, Crisis Core and FFX...

Anyway, thank you for your comment and for being nice towards me. Happy New Year!

Posted on 21 Jan 2012 10:44:26 GMT
Sordel says:
I bought XIII when it came out (two years ago) but I heard so many negative things about the linearity that I couldn't face it. Now, with XIII-2 on the horizon, I'm giving it a go and ... you know what? I think people really low-balled how annoying this game is. People always talk about there being bad characters in FF and too many cut-scenes, and with XIII it's as though SE said: "if you thought our OTHER games were linear with bad characters, wait until you get a look at THIS one!"

I'm finding this agony ... only a few hours in but already my TV screen is in serious danger if Snow shouts "Seraaaaaaaaah!" one more time.

I don't think that I'm quite as much a FF fan as you, but I do count VI, VII and XII as some of the best games I've ever played. Seems like thirteen was unlucky for all of us.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Jan 2012 13:54:43 GMT
Last edited by the author on 21 Jan 2012 13:56:19 GMT
Mariana Dias says:
You really gave me a good laugh about Snow's obsession compulsion thing on screaming "SERAAAH" all the time. Oh and "We have to save Cocoon! *closes fist*" line... He REALLY is annoying at the start...and kind of throughout the 1st hm...30hrs of gaming?

Anyway, you will get better scenes. Trust me, although they won't last long... Almost near the ending, things will eventually get deeper and more interesting, but as I said, they won't last long and they're not as good as in the previous FF stories.

About the linearity problem, it sure is - alot -, but FFIV is also a little bit and it's still one of the good ol' FF games. I suppose its linearity was not noticed because of the story-line and plot. Eventually all of this got better, specially when FFVII came out - boy oh boy, wasn't it (still is) just amazing?

Even if I don't enjoy a FF (which was actually the 1st time it happened) I will finish it, not matter how distressing it might be. I've pre-order FFXIII-2 and I'm positive about it. Maybe, just maybe, there's still hope...even if a sequel was needed!

Thank you for your time answering and I do hope your TV doesn't blow up because of Snow. Mine survived! xD
‹ Previous 1 Next ›