3.0 out of 5 stars Sometimes thought provoking but let down by disjointed format, 4 Jun 2010
This review is from: ReWork: Change the Way You Work Forever (Paperback)
I want to like this book more than I actually do.

I want to like it because I agree with much of what the authors are trying to achieve. Or, at least, what I think they're trying to achieve.

The book sets out to challenge many of the assumptions we make about the world of work and commerce. And how we spend our time and structure our activities.

The authors make lots of good points about how inefficient and bureaucratic work often is. They draw your attention to the often bizarre characteristics of workplaces and offer ways in which it could all be different.

This is the sort of 'stuff' that I like.

Like most people, I've worked in several dysfunctional organisations. Like families, organisations (in either the public or private sector) do things that don't make much sense. But they do them because, 'we've always done it this way' e.g. 3 hour meetings where many attend just because they've got to be seen to be attending!

Rework then, sets out to offer us all an alternative.

Fine.

But as a book, Rework failed for me.

I found the short (often very short) chapters, well, just too short. Arguments that needed further development were - I felt - left in mid-air, underdeveloped and under explored.

At times, the book felt like a loose collection of odd ramblings with no concrete structure upon which to pull concepts together.

Many of the suggestions would possibly work in smaller organisations but would cause real problems if you tried to apply them in bigger, more bureaucratic settings.

In conclusion, I highly commend the authors for trying to challenge how the world works. Things do really need to be re-worked. But so does, unfortunately, this book!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 1 Dec 2010 19:11:07 GMT
Matthew Hall says:
That's helpful, but it would be useful to know whether you think the book is worth spending the money and time on? You've rated 3 stars which would seem to indicate it's worth reading, but with a pinch of salt. What's your comment on that, please?

Posted on 8 May 2011 22:56:12 BDT
They don't need to do the exploring for you. They have already done that for themselves. You need to do your own exploration. They have pointed out certain facts. You're meant to do the rest, for YOU. This approach is actually quite common in personal development. This book is in a way encouraging you to develop personally and professionally.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jun 2011 19:44:55 BDT
Hi

Thanks for your comment on my Review.

However, I'm not making the point I think you're referring to e.g. about exploration etc. I completely agree that exploration can often be a personal journey.

The point I'm making is that the structure and format of the book reduces, I feel, it's usefulness.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.3 out of 5 stars (140 customer reviews)

10.99 7.58