5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, 9 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Panasonic TX-L37ET5B 37-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p 3D LED TV with Freeview HD - Black (New for 2012) (discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)
I bought this before any reviews came out because I wanted a wide viewing angle and LED backlighting. However, I had concerns relating to passive 3D LED TVs.

Edge-lit LED panels can show unpleasant cones of light coming from the LEDs on the bottom edge. Off-axis, blacks can take on a blue hint and passive 3D pictures are poor when the viewer is off the vertical axis. Light-weight sound quality afflicts recent flat panel TVs.

So, how did the TX-L37ET5B do? Well a lot better than I had expected. There were no visible cones regardless of picture, room lighting or viewing angles. Yes, off axis blacks become a pale blue when viewed at extreme angles but for normal angles, black is very dark (frankly, black) and not tinted. The 3D is very sensitive to vertical viewing angle so your eyes really have to be situated close to perpendicular to the screen centre although horizontal angles are very good. Think about this if you are going to wall mount it.

With good source material, pictures can really come to life in 2D and 3D. In 2D, the picture is lively and detailed - stunning on the Avatar Blu Ray. Believe it or not, it's run close on some FreeView HD material though a large number of FreeView HD transmissions aren't that high in image detail.

To me, 3D was a sales gimmick before I got this TV. However, this TV makes a superb job of 3D. Despicable Me is fantastic fun and will have kids and wives screaming and ducking to avoid objects flying out of the TV. I couldn't see any obvious degradation due to the 50% loss of vertical resolution in 3D. Trying Avatar 2D in 2D to 3D mode was interesting but it made a sufficiently good go of this to make it a viable option. Having a big head(!), I found the supplied 3D glasses far too tight but just popped on a pair I got from the Cinema. I've never seen active 3D on TV but this passive 3D appeared comparable to the experience seen in a 3D Cinema.

The sound quality is fine for general viewing but is lacking base even when maxed out. You can wire a separate optical sound feed to your A/V amp that is not affected by the TV volume or mute controls.

The frame is not black but a dark grey surrounded by a clear edge. It's a classy look. The stand is silver so will be dust resistant. The connectors are a wee bit fiddly on the back.

Overall, a stunning effort with only minor flaws - I've never seen a perfect TV. No regrets, I'm glad I went for this one.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 6 Apr 2012 15:04:52 BDT
Last edited by the author on 6 Apr 2012 15:05:15 BDT
L J Kelly says:
can you comment on gaming response time lag, or whether you can record to a usb memory stick? Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Apr 2012 20:04:09 BDT
Azzurro_F says:
I've only tried an RGB Scart connected Wii. I wasn't looking at it with a critical eye but there were no obvious issues with it.

Not tried USB recording and am unlikely to try that.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Apr 2012 02:31:27 BDT
L J Kelly says:
i think i saw the response time for games quoted as a rather poor 30ms.

The panny site says it has no usb recording capability, which is sad since its predecessor did.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 May 2012 21:28:12 BDT
Bought mine about an hour ago so not even got it out of the box yet but it IS supposed to record to a HDD via the USB port(s). Might not do it to stick but I sure plan to try it using my 1TB WD HDD.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 May 2012 18:44:10 BDT
Last edited by the author on 22 May 2012 18:46:25 BDT
L J Kelly says:
This is the thing with panny tvs - they say on the website this set can't be used as a pvr, then someone on the John Lewis website says they've tried it and it can! I know it says HDD on one of the usb sockets but this is apparently misleading as there are no functions in the menus for recording on this model (or are they hidden?). This TV uses the same basic operating system as their plasmas that can, so they must have made a concious effort to leave it out.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Jun 2012 23:47:46 BDT
K. Grunwald says:

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Jun 2012 00:09:01 BDT
Seriously ? You pick up on grammar in a TV review ? Jeez.
Anyway 'a' is used before all words that begin with consonants - with one exception : use 'an' before an unsounded 'h'
As the 'h' in HDD is NOT unsounded, it is correct to use 'a'
Sorry but YOU got to me :)

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Jul 2012 11:12:13 BDT
RAK says:
"An hard disk drive" sounds odd to me!

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Jul 2012 11:14:42 BDT
RAK says:
Silverback (or anyone):Did you ever try with the HDD? I am still deciding which model to buy and I would like this option.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Jul 2012 12:40:10 BDT
Sorry for not returning with an update Roger but I couldn't remember why I'd even posted a comment on this 37" model review when I got the 47" one ! Hopefully everything is the same except for the size.
Anyway I've VERY happy with this tv and have it linked to all my other 'entertainment' units now; the cable box, dvd recorder and 3D blu-ray player by HDMI cable and the surround sound amp by optical digital audio cable. Brilliant.
One little niggle and this is probably down to my lack of teckiness; as the dvd recorder and blu-ray player are both Panasonic too, they linked themselves automatically via the Viera feature. This is fine but a bit annoying when I turn on the tv and one or more of the other units power on too !
As for the HDD, yes I've connected my 1TB drive to one of the USB ports and am now enjoying all the shows and movies (and music and photos) stored on it. How it displays these 'files' is a bit confusing as there is no windows type folder structure but I can find what I want eventually. I downloaded a 3D movie (John Carter) to the HDD and it's fantastic on the TV. Sound and 3D picture are brilliant.
I also connected the tv to my cable internet via an ethernet cable (why use wifi when the modem hub is next to the tv ?) and this also works very well with a fast response and I can watch Netflix movies like they were via cable.
I've not even tried to record to the HDD as I see no need to do so (having a DVR and a DVD recorder already hooked up) but I don't believe it has this option anyway.
This should probably have been done as a full review but as others have reviewed this tv is much more detail, I'll leave it as an answer to you, Roger.
Overall I'm chuffed to bits with the tv. Awesome in 2DSD, HD and 3D (David Attenborough's Sky 3D show on plants is stunning and I'm about to watch the Wimbledon Final in 3D too) and the sound is great - when played via a surround sound system; not so hot using its own speakers.
Hope this helps.