5.0 out of 5 stars In a word ... Astonishing, 5 Dec 2008
This review is from: The Tales of Beedle the Bard, Collector's Edition (Offered Exclusively by Amazon) (Hardcover)
Today I received the collector's edition of Harry Potter and the tales of beedle the bard. I also received the standard edition.

I opened the standard edition first and I thought it was very nice; beautifully illustrated, well bound together...

Then *deep breath* I opened the Collector's edition. I was overwhelmed by the size first; it was about a foot in height, but this only added to my excitement.

The "outer book" is leather and imprinted with "The Tales of Beedle the bard" and J.K Rowling's signature. There are little pictures of a skull, a treetrunk, a heart and a pot along with other little designs imprinted on the leather. And of course, these are imprinted with outstanding, breathtaking quality.
On the spine of the book, the words and the little sketch of a wand are eye-catching in a glimmering, gold font.
The outer book has that beautiful, authentic look of one of the books that you would find in the Hogwarts library as clearly shown in any of the Harry Potter films.

Upon opening the book, there is navy-blue velvet lining that adds sheer luxary to the amazing product.
There is a slipcase and in it a gold envelope that holds astounding work of art - the 10 framable prints of J.K's wonderful illustrations - and yes it's true - she IS quite the artist! The illustrations capture the fairytales and add more clarity and depth to the story; the tales just wouldn't be complete without them.

The book itself is encased in a beautiul deep red velvet bag. This is embroided with J.K's signature in a gold thread.

...And the book? What can I say but ... wow.
The cover is made of brown leather and yes, it is astonishing quality.
There are four metal corners, each with a blue gemstone. In the centre there is a metal skull, with two blue gemstones for eyes. There is a magnetic clasp set with a gemstone also. They say you shouldn't judge a book by a cover but the cover really is stunning; you will not be able to draw away your eyes.

The handwritten introduction to the book is such an authentic and realistic reproduction, I thought it was real; that J.K Rowling herself had scrawled the words across the pages. You will devour every word of the introduction, hungry for more..

The pages the fairytales are printed on are thick and high quality. The standard edition paper and print just cannot compare to the the high quality paper and the astounding print of the CE. It is an absolute pleasure to read.

As for the tales themselves... well I'll let you find out for yourself, but they are so original and wonderfully written I fell instantly in love with them. After reading thoroughly the 7 harry potter books I was glad for something new related with harry potter. Dumbledore comments on each of the stories, I found this very helpful as I got a better insight on each. Dumbledore's comments on the tale of the three brothers will ultimately help you understand the deathly hallows themselves.

As a fifteen year old major harry potter fan, I definitely feel that this is a wonderful addition to my potter collection. I didn't expect it to be as good as this, but it is, it really is. So much that I can not fault this spectacular book. Thank you Amazon for the outstanding quality you have put into this book. I sincerely reccommend that you buy the collector's edition while you still can! You will not be sorry! And J.K Rowling, you are amazing thank you so much for bringing Harry Potter in my life.

[Add comment]