5.0 out of 5 stars Works Like a Charm, a Must Have !, 9 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Kingston 16GB Portable Storage Wi-Drive (Accessory)
Don't let the the bad reviews put you off this very clever and amazing device. I will try to explain in detail why I think this is a must have and why I believe its better having one of these with for example a 16gb iPad rather than a 32gb iPad.

Whilst I love my iPad and iPhone and would not be without them there are some very frustrating limitations mainly due to iTunes which you must use to add media. Some off these limitations I was not aware before purchasing the iPad.

For me the iPad really comes into its own when travelling and its where I appreciate it most but this is where you will most likely encounter the iTunes quirks and limitations.

One of the biggest issues with Apple devices is that if you load up a load of films for example and then go travelling you will have no way what so ever to add extra media unless of course you pay for it through the iTunes store as you are only allowed one iTunes library on one PC which will usually be your home PC. So if you are carrying with you a hard drive full of movies music or photos it will never the see the light of day on your iPad or iPhone if your away from home and that is a very big drawback.

This is where the Kingston wi drive comes to the rescue. You download a free app then connect it to any PC and drag and drop your media. Within minutes its available on your apple devices. Absolute genius.

The Kingston wi drive also solves a number of other problems. One of them being the length of time it takes to transfer media to your Apple device via iTunes because of all the syncing, backing up and transferring purchases it needs to do. This can be a nightmare if your in a hurry and want to add something quickly which is almost impossible.

There is also a quirk in iTunes when adding media which prolongs the process even more and leads to more frustration. Lets say for example you had 6 movies on an iPad with 1.5gb of space left and wanted to add one more movie which was 1.1gb which is plenty right, wrong because you have to snyc all 7 movies over to the iPad and iTunes will say you are out of space. You see you cant just add one more movie. You have to basically tick all the boxes of all 7 movies and tell iTunes these are all the movies I now want on my iPad. To get around this you have to delete the 6 first then add the 7 all together.

Can you see where Im going with this. The wi drive just completely eliminates all the unnecessary time consuming messing about I detailed above as well as letting you add media on the go. For that alone its worth every single penny and worthy of 5 stars.

I know 16gb is not massive but all you have to do is carry a larger capacity usb stick with and swap media around which also eliminates the need for the 32gb version. Most people will already own small portable hard drives or USB sticks of some kind.

There are however some improvements I would like to see to make this device perfect. A more accurate battery display as well as improved battery life which is about 4 hours. Also its a bit disappointing the fact that you cannot charge and use it at the same time. The drive is a bit delicate and to not include some sort of basic pouch I think is quite mean especially given the price. For me though these are minor quibbles and I highly recommend it.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 11-13 of 13 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 12 Oct 2013 22:22:14 BDT
V. Radonic says:
Hi M. Farnley ... I plug my USB memory stick in, open MobileLite app on iPad, make sure that in Settings I click on MobileLite wifi. In MobileLite app I can now see my USB stick, ... I click on it, select any document or photo I want to move or copy across, and now I can move or copy my document or photo to my local iPad folder. This is how I do it :-)

I like possibility of transferring my photos and videos from SD card to USB memory stick :-) ... Hope this helps :-)

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Oct 2013 12:18:31 GMT
M. Fearnley says:
Hello, thanks for the reply, but you're talking about the Mobilelite product and this thread was about the Wi Drive product which has no card reader.

I think Amazon has linked the two products somehow. I prefer the sound of the one you have!

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Oct 2013 14:38:34 GMT
V. Radonic says:
Sorry, I haven't realised ... Thought that was for MobileLite ;-)

Anyway, I just love this little thing :-)
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.9 out of 5 stars (123 customer reviews)

Used & New from: £43.00