4.0 out of 5 stars Apparently NOT all the surviving episodes, 25 Feb 2006
This review is from: The Likely Lads: Surviving Episodes From BBC Series 1-3 [DVD] (DVD)
Curiously, despite the assertion on the box, this DVD doesn't contain ALL the surviving episodes. There is another one, "The Other Side of the Fence", which was screened by UK Gold last year, featuring Anneke Wills. In this episode, Bob is promoted from the workshop into the management side of the company (hence the title). If UK Gold had the episode (and presumably acquired it from the BBC), then how is it that the BBC themselves seem to be unaware of it? Releasing a DVD containing supposedly ALL the surviving episodes, while omitting ONE, strikes me as somewhat daft.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 24 Aug 2010 10:16:21 BDT
gadget says:
The BBC recently went through a 'Treasure Hunt' when they appealed to the public for any private copies of programmes which they could add to the archive. Perhaps this episode was one of them and the DVD was produced before it was recovered?

Posted on 24 Aug 2010 10:17:10 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 24 Aug 2010 10:17:27 BDT]

Posted on 6 Aug 2013 16:01:27 BDT
I have bought a few months ago the DVD of this in Perth, Western Australia from our ABC shop, which sometimes makes programmes in conjunction with UK, and they sell a lot of British programmes which are mostly shown on our ABC TV channel, the ' no ads' channel. It had a different cover with a blue background showing a side view of Terry and Bob's faces. It contains 8 episodes, which are all the ones listed at the bottom of the product page, plus the missing episode, 'The Other Side Of The Fence.'

The great thing is, with it being bought in Oz it is Region 4 for our region. I want 'Whatever Happened To The Likely Lads' series, but they are Region 2 which means I can only watch them on my computer. I downloaded some special software called Videolan as apparently, you can only watch another region three times on your comp which is set to your region, and then it will lock it in to the last one you watched, hence the separate software, a tip a reviewer once told me on here. We don't seem to have the sequel series at the moment, unless they can be got by the ABC shop for our region seeing as how they had the other one. (still shows they have it online) Is there any way a Region 2 disc can be made to play for another region, because I have had a music shop do one for me that wouldn't play on my DVD player? It was one of the black and white classics of 'Reach For The Sky' war movie, a favourite of mine.

To refer to this series of 'The Likely Lads' I enjoyed it back in the 60s when I was just a bit younger than the actors I think, and I find it just as funny as it was then, especially as the episodes get going. I'm just watching them round for the second time, and have just the last one to watch, ' Good Bye To All That' as I can't remember what it was about now. I found the episode before it 'Rocker' particularly funny where Bob has bought a second-hand scooter and ends up in hospital twice, then Terry and Bob gets some of his own back! The end is really funny! I live on my own and it made me laugh out loud, as the other episodes did.

Seems queer now to be watching the repeats of ' New Tricks' with James Bolam looking much older now. I'd just got used to seeing him, but with looking at the 'Likely Lads' series again it strikes more. Good actor though, and remember him in 'When The Boats Come In.' Rodney Bewes doesn't seem to have been in anything much, at least not that we've seen in Oz, but apparently, he and James had a fall out over something that Rodney said in a press interview or something and they haven't spoken for 30yrs! Rather sad, as they went so well together in the series.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.1 out of 5 stars (25 customer reviews)

12.99 2.90