1.0 out of 5 stars Warning: If you love etymotic er4p or er6i you will HATE these., 26 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Etymotic MC5 In-Ear Earphones - Black (Electronics)
I have and adore etymotic er4p and er4s. I had and semi-adored the slightly cheaper er6i too. Unfortunately my er6i's met with an accident and when i went to find another pair i discovered they were discontinued and that etymotic had replaced them in their range with these, the mc5's. In fact if you go to the er6i page it tells you that these are the newer version of the er6i's. Great! thought i. And bought a pair without hesitating.

When i got them .... omg. Hideous. Gone are the crystal clarities ety are known for and in is mud and mess and in-distinction and so much middle and fuzzy bass that you think you're wearing shure or klipsch. This isn't audiophile; it sounds like the mid 1970s.

If you like what ety used to do ... avoid these like the plague. I hate them.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 3 Oct 2011 12:08:17 BDT
Just wondering if you got a rip-off copy?

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Oct 2011 06:48:22 BDT
Do Amazon sell rip-off copies? No. What I got was the real thing and they aren't a patch on the er6i/s. Ety should stick to what they do (did?) best rather than trying to sound like shure and co..

Posted on 2 Aug 2012 17:50:05 BDT
Androgeos says:
Rubbish review. Luckily I ignored this useless review and bought these anyway. I am a long time owner of a pair of ER6i which I adored. I also own a pair of Shure SE530, which cost 4 times as much as these.

I've had these MC5 for only 1 day and I already adore them. I'm seriously considering selling my SE530, as these are almost as good. Oh, and they are a CLEAR improvement over the ER6i.

Beautiful bass, tight and similar to the one I get with my Dynaudio Focus speakers. Great clarity, these blew me away. They even isolate better than the Shure, using the included flanges.

I will write a full review soon, in the meantime, I think you either didn't insert them properly or you got fake ones.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Aug 2012 20:56:03 BDT
Last edited by the author on 2 Aug 2012 20:57:14 BDT
If you had read my review and my above comment correctly, Androgeo, you would be aware of the fact that I did not get "fake ones"; i bought them from Amazon and have tried both my own pair and two other pairs of them with the same unsatisfactory result. And I did not insert them incorrectly. These earphones colour the sound. They do not "present it, uncluttered". As such, they are not audiophile quality. I find them significantly inferior to the ER6i which in turn I find inferior to ER4s. I too have owned SE530s and dislike them. Which is why I dislike these MC5s as they sound like an inferior variety of Shure rather than the crisp clear Etymotic presentation I had come to know and love.

Horses for courses, Androgeo. It is very rude of you to call my review a "rubbish review" simply because your opinion of what is and is not "good sound" differs from mine. As I said, if you like the Shure sound you will like the MC5s. I do not. Therefore I do not like the MC5s and regret Etymotics change of aural direction.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Aug 2012 01:45:10 BDT
Last edited by the author on 3 Aug 2012 01:51:17 BDT
Androgeos says:
You describe the bass as muddy and messy. I thought the exact opposite: Over the past years I have tried several pairs of IEMs (Klipsch, Shure, Etymotics, Atrio, Phonak, Denon, Sennheiser). The bass on these MC5 is incredibly detailed, not boomy at all, tight.

I've heard the ER4p and they are better - for the price they must be. However these are amazing value and amazing quality for what you pay. No other IEMs I've tried in the price range or even for twice as much have had such an *uncoloured* presentation. And the highs are fantastic in my experience: the cymbals on my Blue Note XRCD24 FLAC rips have never sounded better on similarly priced iems. That includes the ER6i. Again, the bass on acoustic recordings is excellent, textured, tight. On the other hand, some poorly mastered over-compressed cds I own sound poor through these. These are definitely not for brickwalled hip-hop, rock and dance music by the way.

Probably the geometry of your ear canal is very different from mine, hence your opposite findings. It is a possibility that you are not able to get a good fit with these. Also what are your sources and how do you encode your music? Apologies for asking but these are very much "garbage in, garbage out" iems.

Bottom line, as another etymotic lover imho your review is inaccurate and misleading. This product is not the holy grail, but it does not deserve your acrimony.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Aug 2012 09:44:53 BDT
And there, amidst the personals, we have the kernel of truth. I listen to "rock" on an ipod. These earphones are just plain BAD at that. (And yes, I have sampled at the highest rate and yes i do get a perfect fit as i use and have used similar for decades...) xoxo
‹ Previous 1 Next ›