5.0 out of 5 stars Best release of this classics 80's tiny slasher movie!, 28 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Puppetmaster (BLU-RAY) [1989] (Blu-ray)
Firstly the movie can be divisive, you love it or hate. I absolutely adore it! If you're like me, then this is hands down the best version available anywhere. A sharp picture with little damage and plenty of natural film grain, great uncompressed stereo sound a and a decent 5.1 remix, the original features from the old DVD's plus new commentaries from Charles Band and Justin Kerswell.

Sure it's the R rated cut but that's the only version that has been released on blu-ray and widescreen DVD (the US Blu-ray is the same cut but with a really soft picture). So pleased about this release, let's hope Trancers is on it's way soon from 88 Films in the same quality!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 6 Oct 2012 01:57:18 BDT
yeah, too bad it's the R-rated cut and not the unrated one, otherwise I would have bought it in a second! I hope the unrated cut finds it's way on Blu-Ray someday...meanwhile I will have to do with the german full frame unrated DVD.

Posted on 17 Jan 2013 12:42:04 GMT
Paul WJM says:
Got to be honest, having never seen the film before, I was a little disappointed after viewing it recently. What got on my wick the most was the horrible score (to my ears) by Richard Band, which was almost omnipresent and seemingly random as far as music generally goes. I did love the puppets though (particularly when they were brought to life with stop motion), they were suitably gruesome. I must say that I was impressed with 88 Films' Blu-ray, although I don't know whether to hang on to it and try the film again in a year or so (I may unfortunately fall into the 'hate it' camp that you mention).

Paul (The Grim Cellar)

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Nov 2013 02:06:48 GMT
A. Moncrieff says:
Paul, if you hate that score don't even try the sequels - exact same score for all of the movies! 88 Films indeed did a bang up job - their blu-rays of the superior films Bloodstone: Subspecies II, Castle Freak and Pit and the Pendulum are even more impressive!

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Nov 2013 08:52:33 GMT
Paul WJM says:
Thanks for the tip-off. I've still got PM and will give it another go as promised. I've bought the Castle Freak Blu and think it's another excellent disc from 88 (especially the inclusion of the previously unseen short film). I've got Pit & Pendulum on my list to get soon, and they're releasing Tourist Trap on Blu also so I'll certainly be getting that! Nice little company who I wish more success to.

Posted on 11 Apr 2015 19:29:11 BDT