4.0 out of 5 stars Dark and beautiful., 27 Nov. 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Second Toughest in the Infants (Audio CD)
Juanita/Kiteless/To Dream Of Love is a great three-track mix of trance, featuring vocals (both repetative at the start and emotional at the end), lovely piano and guitar-sounding backdrops and solid beats with plenty of well-made sound effects. The next track, Barnstyle/Sappy's Curry is more drum and bass, but with a definite chilled vibe. I don't enjoy it much, because I'm not a huge chillout fan and when it comes to DnB I like it dark and bass-heavy, so this combination doesn't really work for me, but it's still an OK track.
Confusion The Waitress has a very cool, dark, almost 'secret agent' vibe to it, with a sparse feeling and a simple but seriously cool two-note synth refrain driving it along. Rowla is a fine track, taking one theme and wrapping it around some nice beats. Pearls Girl is a track I've known for a while but initially didn't enjoy much, but these days it's growing on me more and fast becoming one of my favourite Underworld tracks. It starts with a long pad sequence, moving into a broken beat and some typically random vocals, then these 3 main elements are put together over the rest of the track.
Blueski and Air Towel are good tracks, although slightly unmemorable compared to the likes of J/K/T, Confusion and Pearl's Girl, and Stagger is a more ambient track with quite powerful vocals.
I'll admit that when I first bought this album I was completely unimpressed and was ready to go to town and take it back the next day, but I gave it another chance and I'm so glad I did, it's dark and subtle but very good.
I don't know if I'd recommend this as a first album for people getting into the band (these people might want to check out their "Everything, Everything Live" album, featuring some of their best work and not quite as long as the recent anthology, which is good too but might be bewildering), but if you're a fan of some of the band's other songs, or you like dark electronic music, you should check this album out, especially considering it's a very good price if you look in the right places (like here at Amazon)

[Add comment]