5.0 out of 5 stars A dream come true, fantastic camera for the money, 16 April 2011
This review is from: Canon EOS 600D Digital SLR Camera (inc. 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Lens Kit) - (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
Been looking for years for a DSLR, something always put me off.

Took the plunge and boy what a difference, no problems with contrast (I take photos of coloured horses), plenty of speed (they don't go as fast as a Ferrari) and I can now make HD videos!

Almost 57 and I feel like I did when I had my first SLR, a Zenith, then a Ricoh, then a Pentax and the last film SLR is sitting on the shelf, a mint EOS1000FN if anybody wants it, no better not now that my daughter is into 'retro' pictures, no idea why. Oh, she is doing photography at college so that could be why.

If you are in any doubt about buying one of these DON'T BE!!

Update: I took some absolutely stunning pics and videos at an indoor horse show, poor lighting and fast action still didn't catch this camera out. I was going to buy the 60D but now I'm glad I didn't, the video zoom is essential and according to Canon will not appear on the 60D because it is a hardware enhancement, nothing to do with firmware.

Another update: I had the new and old USM lenses with my film camera and noticed all the comments about 'silent' focusing so I stuck them on the 600D, yes they are quieter but they are also far heavier and seem to eat up the battery a bit quicker. What surprised me was the superior image quality from the new lighter plastic (yes plastic!) lenses on the newer IS kit, distortion is far less of a problem and of course there is the advantage of image stabilization. If you have a couple of grand to spend you can certainly get better lenses than the 'kit' variety but until someone proves to me the prosumer that it is worth the extra I am happy with the results. I also bought a 55-250 zoom and a 50mm 1.8, I hardly use them because the kit zoom meets most of my needs and I can always crop to my heart's delight, the bigger zoom is better than my by old 'big' USM zoom, smaller, lighter and most importantly has IS, better pics too, less flare etc. Just can't be bothered to take the extra lenses out of the Lowepro bag, done it at shows and missed some pics my kids caught with their Panasonic TZ, now that beautiful little camera is another story altogether, advancing technology could make DSLRs obsolete... er NO, I like the viewfinder, don't need my glasses and no squinting at a screen in sunlight. AND a DSLR is a bit more future proof, it also annoys the 'pro' at shows when I'm getting shots he misses while he flits back and forth to his mobile studio carrying his six foot long lens..

Overall I can't fault this camera, reliable, good battery life, consistent results and terribly easy to use... just grab it and shoot, bliss. Recently paid to have an image put on a big canvas for the wall, WOW! I feel like Bathit Daily now.

As far as autofocus on movie mode is concerned I would rather use manual any day, you can create movies with a bit more 'atmosphere'.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 8 Nov 2011 19:46:58 GMT

Thanks for that.
Great review

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Nov 2011 23:56:17 GMT
McDuck says:
What is the manual zoom like when videoing? This is my only concern,
Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Jan 2012 20:58:15 GMT
JR says:
its quite good but a tad noisy on the kit lens. not a problem if you are going to add background sound but annoying if you just want to film something.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Jan 2012 22:31:01 GMT
Mr. E. Owen says:
Do manual zoom, that's what the pos do.

Anyway, this is an 'entry level' DSLR not a high end movie camera. What this is capavle of doing for the money is evidenced by the US TV movies shot using the technology this offers.

If we forget the movie mode we have one hell of a stills camera!

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Apr 2012 10:23:06 BDT
Thomas Thorp says:
What? This camera has the same sensor as the 7d, which is as popular as the 5D for recording movies. The movie mode is more than adequate by today's standards

Posted on 31 Dec 2012 10:54:25 GMT
Theo Davies says:
I'm interested into the EOS100FM, please can I have some more information?

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Dec 2012 11:31:34 GMT
It is an EOS1000FN Theo

Posted on 9 Jan 2013 13:01:03 GMT
Joe Bloggs says:
Your daughter is probably into retro pictures because they have a warmth about them that digital ones do not have. Film may not produce digital, pin sharp photos, yet film has produced some of the most iconic images in the last hundred years or more. As a parallel, CDs may seem to be superior to vinyl records, but vinyl certainly produces a warmer, soulful sound. CDs will only be better when they can reproduce such warmth. Clarity isn't everything.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Jan 2013 13:25:17 GMT
Mr. E. Owen says:
I like my images to accurately reflect what I see rather than present some artistic value I don't require, an 'artistic' picture of a horse is of no use to me whatsoever and I can't afford to go back to the days of clicking away eating up rolls of film only to find that after horrendously expensive processing just one or two meet my needs! Same goes for vinyl, I have loads of old records but can't see what the fuss is about, I prefer my iPhone plugged in to my powered Wharfedale Diamond speakers. Each to his own as they say. BTW, the Wharfedales will never be for sale because they produce a warmer, soulful sound unlike the garbage on the market today ;-)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›