4.0 out of 5 stars Forward unto sequel., 19 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn [DVD] (DVD)
Surprisingly, this was quite a good film. I'm not a fan of the games (It's not that I don't like them but I've only ever played one) but that didn't spoil my enjoyment of it nonetheless.

I had never heard anything about this and thought it would probably be rubbish, but it surprised me in many ways. I'm not sure how much it cost to make, if it was a large or small budget film, because it seemed to have been filmed in relatively few locations (perhaps so it cost less to make) yet at the same time there where some amazing props and effects in it too.

Watching it, it seems to have stayed true to the Halo franchise, with costumes, vehicles, weapons and aliens all being faithfully recreated on screen. Viewers will recognise things like sticky grenades, the alien's plasma shields and the different types of aliens for instance.

Perhaps most surprisingly of all though was the story line. It wasn't groundbreaking by any stretch of the imagination - it was very simple in fact, revolving around a military academy in which the young recruits come under attack - but it was a decent set up for what looks like it could be a pretty exciting Sci-Fi franchise if it takes off; it certainly left me eager for more as the young squad (or what's left of them) scramble away from their training facility under the guidance of 'Master Chief' - no longer wet behind the ear rookies.

The acting too was pretty good too, which was a bonus given the young cast who all managed to pull off their roles convincingly enough. There is a bit of a slow start, but in the end it all kicks off and perhaps. My one grumble: perhaps the action could have come a bit sooner in the film and I would have liked to have seen more.

Things just get going and when the action starts it's all over too soon leaving you eager for more, but by the end of it, I'd enjoyed the film and wanted to see the next instalment... I just hope there is one. If I had the next film, I would have leaped up and stuck it in my BluRay player as quickly as possible. Part two looks like it'll be great. Fingers crossed there is one.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 26 Feb 2013 19:35:10 GMT
Steve Hunt says:
I'd like to thank you for your review of this Halo movie.

My daughter (turning 13 in April) is absolutely hooked on this franchise and has possibly everything Halo...

I did not even know that a film had been made, I am just so happy that someone has reviewed this movie so I now know that it is maybe a good purchase on BluRay.

Thanks again,

Steve.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Feb 2013 16:01:10 GMT
Last edited by the author on 27 Feb 2013 16:03:26 GMT
The Truth says:
No worries Steve,

I think it would be OK for a 13 year to watch. Although there is violence in it, it's not too graphic and is mainly just laser guns etc.

I had no idea there was a film out either until I stumbled across it. Intrigued, I sat down to watch it and was pleasantly surprised.

It's not the best film in the world, but was pretty enjoyable. I hope your daughter enjoys it - and I'm sure she will if she's such a fan of the games... She should especially enjoy it as the story revolves around kids her own age (or maybe a year or two older) rather than us 'oldies'; she might also like the fact that a young girl is the leader of the recruits too.

Thanks for the comment :-)

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Apr 2013 11:48:12 BDT
I was struck by a similar feel to Battlestar Galactica, visually at least, and also thought it was an excellent intro to this world (I am not a gamer but love BSG). I do think any shortcomings are acceptable given the budget ($10 million apparently) but I did read somewhere that the DVD would include additional scenes not available on line. I wonder if this is the case?

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Apr 2013 17:11:43 BDT
The Truth says:
I'm a BSG fan too... Yeah thought this was a good effort tbf.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›