5.0 out of 5 stars Oh no!! The Wii Fit has arrived!, 2 Jun 2008
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Wii Fit (Wii) (Video Game)
So my new Wii Fit arrived and with the usual gusto I opened the package plugged it in and jumped on. The game told me to get off, it hadn't finished calibrating. Having done the usual of not bothering to read ANY instructions I started again this time following the intuitive program that led me through my body calibration.

Apparently I am obese, I find that strange though? Whenever I look in the mirror I am a toned Adonis?

The first game fired up, I had chosen Hula Hooping, I followed the program instructions (How hard can this be anyway) and started gyrating like a 70's disco diva. The first hoop thrown to me bounced off my head as I continued to gyrate like a man possessed. This is where the Wii's only problem is. You see it was at that time that the postman arrived, I have no idea what he thought but he rang the doorbell, I answered, he coughed and said "One to sign for" and legged it, laughing all the way.

Yoga is especially fun, although it does need to come with a warning, although they say to leave plenty of space around you for the exercises, they do not mention that should you lose your balance doing the "Hunter/Archer" stance, you have a high probability of falling over and careering across the living room as if you caught your leg in your trousers trying to put them on.

There are so many things you can do with this, the board is excellent to use and while you may get bored with exercising you will always have that elusive high score to beat that will keep you motivated like any good game. Jogging on the spot never struck me as a particularly difficult exercise however trying it at home has proved a very worthwhile activity that takes quite a bit of effort and one of these days I WILL catch that Mii! There are lots of different activities to go at, I have to say I have left the muscle work out alone for while until I can face doing press ups in front of the post man. The whole point of this seems to be to enjoy what you are doing and I can honestly say that I do, this coming from a man who whenever he thought about exercise, used to lay out on the sofa until the thought had passed.

Having never been to the Gym (I really hate the thought of that) I am now doing a little exercise, I quite enjoy it, I am not saying this is a serious workout to a marathon runner but to lardy old me, its a start and that cannot be a bad thing.

So its been nearly a year since I bought this, (Ok, so its 8 months but it feels like a year) and I can hear the question being asked "is it nicely gathering dust under the sofa?" The answer is yes, sort of. You see I broke my leg, and there was a fire, not to mention the flood, my dog chewed it, well I think you can see what is happening here.

Every now and again I drag it out, plug it in and try to work out what input source the TV has for the Wii, I usually forget. When I finally get to the screen it says "It's been 89 days since I last saw you". Yes well, I bloody know that don't I. "You have gained 4 lbs since your last visit." Its normally at this point that I lift the other leg off the floor and it tells me to get off again as something is wrong. I have put on 20 lbs. Nothing quite prepares you for the crushing blow of learning such a fact however as I am on a diet of lager, curry, crips and chocolate it shouldn't really surprise me as much.

So, why haven't I lost weight and more importantly why have I not continued to use the pristinely conditioned Wii fit board? Well my homage to the Chocolate Hob Knob is testament to my inability to stop ramming the things into my face. The board is also conveniently placed to shove it with my foot so far under the sofa the only time I know it is there is when I roll off the sofa to go get another Hob Knob I see it lurking there. Its not Nintendo's fault, they had no idea they were trying to market it to me. The Japanese have no idea such apathy existed. I still think the product is great, but I'm not so great, in my pursuit of all things shiny, this was the shiniest. It lasted a month. I did my best. Cheers Nintendo!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 21-30 of 37 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 28 Oct 2008 15:51:54 GMT
I think you make some good criticism, however this was purely a take on a product from someone who I would guess was not Nintedo's target market. I wasn't particularly trying to be funny but enjoyed the humour that came with the board. If all you want is a critique of the game then there are many out there. this was just a personal experience related by me of my time using it.

Thank you for taking the time to respond though, if my review provokes a response good or bad then at least I have written something thought provoking. I do agree though, I have to be careful not to overdo it.

Thanks again

Nigel

Posted on 3 Jan 2009 11:53:09 GMT
There must be something in what you wrote cos never b4 have i taken time to check out the comments on a review, let alone comment on one myself!! I really enjoyed reading your brief, light hearted and very ammusing personal take on the wii fit and I can understand why you have provoked all these comments too (I also had the "he could write a book" thought).
The reason for these reviews is so that potential buyers can see what others have to say about the products, rather than reading through often boring, techno babble designed to make you buy to fill their pocket. I appreciate hearing from the horses mouth to help me decide if I should buy something and I appreciate even more if what I read makes me smirk!!
Caroline x

Posted on 7 Jan 2009 02:17:49 GMT
Again I have to agree with the above, I rarely take the time to read reviews let alone their comments and then reply to them! But seriously I was in hysterics reading your "review" and I would recommend Nintendo contact you about a sales job! lol poor postie!

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Jan 2009 11:02:05 GMT
A. Steffe says:
Thanks for your personal take on the Wii, it was just what I needed to read. I was always going to buy one, but your review made me look forward to getting on it even more :) and prompted me to remember to read the instructions too :)

Posted on 6 Feb 2009 11:07:51 GMT
Brilliant review mate. Nintendo ought to pay you commission - I just ordered one.

Posted on 7 Apr 2009 19:25:15 BDT
S. Owen says:
Thank-you for a very witty read :)

Posted on 14 Apr 2009 23:49:35 BDT
Tania says:
ive just ordered one too ! i laughed so much reading this the tears were streaming down my face. nigel you are a star :)

tania x

Posted on 23 May 2009 20:09:11 BDT
Kilkenny_Cat says:
Nigel,
I, too, was tickled pink - really, if you can find any time in between chocolate HobNobs, you should write a book - you have a way with words!

Thanks for the best review I've ever read - I feel like I know you! :-)

Posted on 24 May 2009 16:28:51 BDT
Nigel - I love you! Sorry - your review had me crying with laughter. Still going to buy the wii fit though - it will be a competition with my 2 boys and their XBox as to who gets to use the tv... My winning arguement is - it's my tv, I pay the bills... blah blah....

I will however be doing it in the evening with the door locked, curtains closed and maybe lights off, in an empty room to satisfy all health and safety problems you brought up.

xx

Posted on 5 Jun 2009 19:19:20 BDT
Anna says:
Alreet, Nigel? :o) Humm... the follow-up was funny, and also a little forlorn. Can I ask what made you not keep it up? That is to say, I can never be bothered to haul my over-sized rumpy bits to the gym, so have been dancing (if you will) around the wii for a few months wondering if it'd give me the impetus/desire to get up and at 'em every day without fail cos it's funfunfun.

Is the addictive funfunfun aspect just a filthy rumour?

Review Details

Item

4.6 out of 5 stars (441 customer reviews)

£57.49 £53.98