5.0 out of 5 stars The best game ever made, 25 July 2007
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Morrowind Elder Scrolls 3: Game of the Year Edition (PC) (Video Game)
Morrowind is an old game so I think the chances of anyone actually ever reading this review are probably quite exceptionally slim. So what. I remember when I first got this game back in 2003 or whenever it came out, though that was obviously without the expansions, and it thoroughly blew me away. I had never ever up to that point in my life played a game like this and, even with the not so but relatively recent release of Oblivion; I know I never will again. This is my favorite game of all time and playing it was the greatest experience I think I'll ever know. I don't even really care how sad that makes me sound. This game changed my life. I've completed it at least four times, and anyone whose played it knows that's quite a lot considering its length, and if my computer recently hadn't decided to crash every time I put the disc in, I would have completed it another couple of times by now.

The story... well, I'm not even going to bother going into that; mainly because I don't want to spoil it for you, a little because I've forgotten a lot of it, and lastly because it is too complicated. It is one of those RPG games about some prophecy you are part of, so if you don't like those kinds of games you'll likely hate this because it literally is the ultimate `you are the one the prophecy speaks of' games. Also, it is a `by the end of the game you'll have around a million different items' game, so if you have bad organizing skills you may also want to steer clear of this masterpiece. Assuming you actually have a computer (I guess you couldn't read this if you didn't), like computer games; especially complex and stat riddled role playing games, and are looking for a new, interesting, and potentially time consuming challenge; then you have found everything you'll ever need right here. It is, in my opinion, the pinnacle of the RPG.

But what it is it actually like? Right now all I am is so far up this game's behind I can tickle its brain with my big toe. Well, like already mentioned it is a role playing game, and one that actually lets you role play properly by the way, and is a massive one at that. I'm sure you've already heard how big this game is but it is bigger than that. And that. No, it's still bigger. Seriously, if you haven't played this game then you can't even comprehend the alarmingly high number of things you can do in it. There are so many, and such a variety of main quests, guild quests, sub quests, minor quests, quests that aren't really quests but that you can do anyway; that it is almost enough to drive you crazy. Or, maybe, enough to drive you insane. You could play this game solidly for weeks and there will still be things to do tomorrow. I remember when I was playing this the first time round, and sometimes I would actually come across villages. I would just be walking along and there would be a secret village there, cut off from the rest of the world. Or you would come across a massive dungeon in the middle of the jungle, or a hidden castle, or any other almost infinite number of hidden places and quests to find. This game is that big. Likewise, there really are that many items to collect. There are just so many different types of armor, weapons - both hand held and projectile, books, lock picks, scrolls, clothes, jewelry, spells, repair hammers, useless items that don't even serve any real function in the game, potions, the list could go on but I'm getting bored! Even if you've played Oblivion, and you probably have, you still have no idea how full and complete this game is.

Now, the graphics. They are good. When the game came out, they were great; but such is the ever increasing quality of digital rendering that now they are only good. Well, who really cares anyway? Graphics are not important. The same rule that applies to movies can be applied to computer games: if it doesn't have a great story with believable and interesting characters, then all the spit and polish in the world won't help to scrape it off the pavement. But, like I said, they are good. In fact, you will, over time, grow quite fond of the way the characters and scenery look. You really will. And, of course, if you don't like them, then there are about a million different mods you can download off the internet to change the game anyway you like. You can make all the women attractive and anatomically correct; or the men if you want; or drastically improve the graphics of the game. You can even, once you have finished the games own story line of course, download whole new story lines, dungeons and quests. There really is quite an extensive and dedicated community of insane people behind this game. And, if all that worries you a bit it needn't because it is a lot easier than it sounds to download and install mods to the game. Though, you should be careful because I once destroyed an entire save and had to uninstall and the reinstall the game because I had too many modifications going at once. You have been warned!

So that's it. This will probably never get read but, oh well. I just remembered that I forgot about the expansion packs. Uh-oh! Well, they are more of the same which is just great. Again, forget the story lines. If you buy the games you can discover them on your own.

[Add comment]