4.0 out of 5 stars More of the same.., 30 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Football Manager 2013 (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
Firstly, I would advise that you ignore any 1* reviews. I find it odd how so many people 1* star it yet still buy the game in its first week of release. Even more baffling given that after several incarnations of this game you should know what to expect, and there is clearly a demo available to try before you buy. Perhaps these people just moan for the sake of it.

Anyway, I review this based on 6 months play with Spurs on Full mode, and 6 months with Norwich on Classic Mode (The new mode that speeds up play, for those who have not come across it). I haven't bought one since FM 2010 due to the demands of a job and a fiance, however have played the demo's for the last couple of years so am aware of the development over time.

Gameplay - As with many people, the reason I stopped playing was that it was becoming too much of a chore. Games would take over 20 minutes to complete, and you would end up with too much pointless activity. For whatever reason I am getting through games in this version a lot quicker (In part due to a much faster laptop I should add). I don't notice a huge difference between full mode and with classic mode, I would imagine this is due to me not fully participating in areas like team talks and press conferences. However Classic is definitely a faster mode, and is useful for those who are short on time.

You can make the arguement that the game is not fun, but then the principle is exactly the same as previous years so if you enjoy the FM series this iteration should not cause a problem.

Look/Feel - Same as previous years from what I can tell. Main difference is that you have to hover over the option you want to choose, and I very often end up clicking on the wrong button and having to go back and repeat the process. Minor issue but a bit of an irritant.

Match Engine - Still somewhat flawed. Players make very odd decisions, and I stil can't find the perfect view to have a balance between pitch view and in-play data such as tactics and motivation. Main problem is that some events happen far too rarely. In Circa 50 games I have seen one penalty, one red card, and one close-range free kick. Hopefully the patch will sort this out.

Transfers/League - Reasonably accurate. Expected teams at the top, Liverpool just off the relegation zone. Transfers seem realistic. Negotiating with agents can be painful, but then that reflects reality.

Steam - Reading the reviews on FM2012 and 2013 I was led to think Steam would be the biggest nightmare in the world. My experience has been very positive. Very quick to download, and updates are sent direct. Don't get the fuss myself.

Tactics/Training - Still quite advanced, but with the tactics creator I found this a lot quicker in the outset to set up my tactics. Training I do not do too much with and trust my assistant's input.

Results - With Norwich I am in 12th through January, with Spurs am in 6th having endured a very mixed season. Can't seem to find the right tactics, but then thats the whole point of the game. Some peope expect to gain success straight away, but if you go into a football management game on the basis that you will only enjoy it if you are winning then that defeats the point in my book.

Overall this is not hugely different to previous version, and if you like the series you should enjoy this one as well. I think theres still a few things missing from the game in terms of making it more of a visual spectacle, but I am sure I will waste away many hours trying to get Norwich into Europe - And thats surely what its all about?!

Oh, and if your in doubt, download the demo and see if you like it.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]