3.0 out of 5 stars Not brave enough?, 11 Dec. 2008
This review is from: That's Another Story: The Autobiography (Hardcover)
I am and have been a fan of Julie Walters for many many years. I STILL watch "As Seen On TV" whenever I need cheering up and love Petula Gordino with a passion, so was thrilled when this book hit my doormat.
However for me it is a book of two distinct halves. The first half covers her childhood and "pre-fame" years and is detailed, funny and quite frank. You get a real sense of Julie's "voice" in the writing and I was reading avidly, getting very excited about the prospect of this detail and frankness being applied to her famous roles.
That's where the problem with the book lies.
After the detail and insight of her stories regarding her youth, Julie glosses over her famous career in an oddly cavalier fashion. I read just over a page or so on her various work with Victoria Wood and thought "That must be a teaser, she'll come back to it", but NO. That was IT! This technique was repeated constantly. Calendar Girls was not discussed AT ALL, Dinnerladies only briefly mentioned, Mrs Weasley covered in about four sentences...I could go on.
This is especially disappointing after the depth and honesty of the first half. She is very candid about her parents and her relationship with them, but once the spectre of "fame" enters the book she becomes very guarded and highly selective with information.
Her marriage and relocation to Sussex is almost mentioned "in passing" and I don't think she even refers to her daughter's serious illness, surely a defining moment in her life? Not that I expected her to trot out all the painful details, but to ignore it completely seemed decidedly odd and at the end of the book "odd" is the feeling I was left with. It seems as if Julie was able to be candid about her own personal history and that of her parents, because they have both passed away, but unable to be equally candid about her career, because it intersects with lives of people still living.
Did she receive alot of pressure from various people not to talk about certain events or particular roles? Did she just avoid talking about movies she didn't like making, or actors/actresses that she didn't get on with? Who can say?
I do understand a desire to be sensitive about writing of events that include other people, BUT if you are going to write an autobiography then I believe that you should be prepared to treat ALL events in your life with equal frankness. That's what writing "your story" is about. It is a brave act that requires openness and a willingness to let your readers "in". Ultimately, that's what disappointed me, that such a fantastic and open actress could succumb to the temptation to edit the story of her career to such an extent that it tells us nothing of her as a person that we didn't learn FAR more effectively in the "non-career" section of the book.
Sadly, though it pains me to say it, this could have been so much more.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 17 Feb 2009 12:52:06 GMT
J. Auckland says:
I'm inclined to agree to some extent; the book quite suddenly becomes much less absorbing when she becomes famous. The last few chapters are as rivetting as the average thank you speech at the BAFTAS.

Posted on 22 Jul 2009 20:06:29 BDT
In an interview, Ms. Walters said that she didn't want to go into detail about her life after the birth of her daughter, because she wanted to respect her daughter's privacy. Her daughter didn't choose the "in the spotlight" lifestyle and I respect Ms. Walters' decision not to force that upon her. All in all, I thought this book was fabulous.

Posted on 19 Nov 2009 10:08:28 GMT
I quite agree. A strange biography indeed.First half interesting and then is just fades away.
lili johansen
denmark

Posted on 5 Dec 2009 19:06:27 GMT
I agree wholeheartedly. This was the most bland autobiography I have ever read. I like Julie Walters and was looking forward to reading it, but it wasn't even funny. Everything was just glossed over.

Posted on 12 Oct 2010 13:52:28 BDT
I bought Maggies tree and could not get into it.
I have read the preview bits on this web site for this book and glad I read the reviews as it seems I have had a preview of the best part.
A great pity I now do not feel inclined to read any more of this autobiography.
A great shame to a great name.
I just loved Educating Rita just maybe this is the only style that would suite myself.?

Posted on 8 Dec 2011 13:10:35 GMT
Last edited by the author on 8 Dec 2011 13:13:09 GMT
Wooltonian says:
Totally agree with the review. I have just finished the book and feel it is definitely a tale of two halves -- first half funny, touching and insightful; second half bland and disappointing. The fame years really fail to engage and are glossed over. Where were the funny anecdotes?? Overall, I still enjoyed the book, but wholeheartedly agree with reader's comments that it fades away badly in the second half. I think three stars is about right.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›