5.0 out of 5 stars Real good, 16 Aug 2012
This review is from: Epson EH-TW3200 3LCD Projector (25000:1, 1800 ANSI Lumens, Full HD 1080p) (Electronics)
I bought this because I suffered greatly from Rainbow Effect (RBE) on the DLP Optoma 230x. This LCD projector cannot create the RBE effect but is, of course, more expensive.

For £50 more again you can get the Epson TW5900 which is 3d capable (you'll need to buy glasses separately). If however, like me, you think 3d is somewhat of a fad and a source of headaches you may want to opt for this model.

Yes, it has slightly less lumens etc but you do gain the invaluable mechanical lens shift. Previously, my old trusty Sony VPL-ES2 had to be perfectly positioned and this kept it relegated to our bedroom on a handy speaker cab I have kicking around. Our living room doesnt really allow for this and having the proj dead centre between us in front of the couch isn't really ideal. (As I am in rented accommodation I cant rig up ceiling mounts and so forth). With the mechanical lens shift however the projector can easily be placed to the side of our seating and the screen can be manipulated to an ideal position. (Download the manual online for an in depth tech spec of the lens shift capability). It's currently mounted on the boxes it came in and a small table (precarious) but I will be buying a wheeled stand soon enough!

So - picture quality? Really lovely. 'Cinema' setting default is good out the box. You can check avforums and search for the tw3200 faq's for optimal setup (everyone is slightly different of course). Cinema setting really needs to be used in a light controlled room (not a bat-cave though). We have large patio doors that need to be covered and we cant really watch a movie properly until dusk. Properly meaning to it's full immersive potential. The 'Living Room' setting pumps up the brightness of course but this is really for gaming in the day and so forth. This setting also increases projector noise from the previous eco cinema mode -that is almost inaudible! In pretty much broad daylight I was still able to play xbox on this setting albeit it would have benefitted from a darker day/more efficient curtains to prevent some washout.

Our first test movie was The Woman In Black. It blew me away. The darkened haunted house was still highly detailed and everything was as it should be. I am by no means a videophile when it comes to comparing contrast levels and so on but I do know when something doesnt "feel right" and everything was A-ok. Last night we went for Insidious and again - the scale of the image, the detail and the faithful colours and contrast made me empty myself on numerous occasions.

The menus are pretty extensive and there are lots to play with if you want to tweak your image.

When connecting to my Sony DH820 av amp it does seem to trigger the HDMI audio back to "TV+AMP" which means I need to switch back to "AMP" to get my sound outputting correctly. No biggy - but it did freak me out initially. Might happen to you too....

It also comes with 3yr warranty on the machine and the bulb which isn't to be sniffed at. Be warned though - this projector is a beast. It was like unrwapping an old VHS player circa. 1986! In saying that, the build quality is strong.

I only give it 4 stars instead of 5 as it remains an expensive piece of kit. I definitely think it is great value but being a skinflint and having paid 550 for my sony back in the day I feel I need to drop it a star. Harsh maybe? Probably. If you can afford a little more then this, so far, is a great piece of kit.

If I have any issues that crop up I will be sure to update my review but I really feel it will continue to deliver.

See ya.

UPDATE:

Been using it pretty much every day since I got it and it still continues to deliver. No drop in brightness noticeable so far. I have upgraded to 5 stars now as it made The Dark Knight Rises look better than it did at the cinema. Astounding stuff. Worth an extra star, that.

[Add comment]