5.0 out of 5 stars Evil is back, and it looks fantastic!, 15 May 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Diablo III - Collector's Edition (PC/Mac DVD) (DVD-ROM)
Diablo 3 is finally with us and it has been worth the wait. The collector's edition of this game contains good quality extras that were also worth the extra price tag, and if I hadn't have managed to secure one myself I would be looking to buy one even at the current inflated prices from resellers. The art book is stunning, page after page of beautiful graphics work and original art that is sure to be a talking point when left on the coffee table. The skull and soulstone look and feel expensive, and I'm refusing to watch the behind the scenes DVD yet as I really don't want to spoil myself for the storyline.

The gameplay is smooth and engaging, harking back to the older games in the series enough so that die-hard fans will feel at home, snippets of the older game music also bring back those old memories. The newcomer to the franchise will not be dissappointed either as you can dive straight into the storyline without feeling that you're missing back story. Lore and information is drip fed to you in such a way that you are learning as you level without any hint of a tutorial or being hand-held. The achievement system is fun and adds to the game without immediately becoming a reason to compulsively collect all possible points, and some achievements ping up in normal gameplay before I've noticed that they exist. Weapons and armor are easily obtained and I reached level 10 on my first character in a few hours of gameplay with a couple of 'rare' items and some solid pieces without having to level up any artisans, purchase or craft anything.

Gold drops like rain. There will be no issue affording most of what you want to buy from the gold auction house. I picked up the 'scavenger' achievement for 10k gold found in a few hours of casual gaming. Of course I did have the advantage of having beta tested the game, but I'm sure it wouldn't take long for even a novice gamer to pick this game up. It is simple to learn but I suspect tough to master and will keep me entertained for a fair while yet. Random dungeon configuration means that replayability is not an issue. Even taking the same character back through the same levels takes a while to become repetitive. The layout of the places you enter changes, and random events can appear at any time giving good quality drops and often an achievement.

Visually this game is very nice. It's not always stunningly beautiful, although there are places where the art and design are just that, especially in the cinematic sequences. The 'paper' effect of some of them looks to be slightly lower quality, but the animated sequences where the non player characters appear are breathtaking and incredibly well done. Of course this means that the game will not run well on a low end computer. You really do need the graphics card and processor power behind a more up to date machine. Most laptops that don't have a dedicated graphics card are going to struggle, but having said that if you're running a machine that's i5 core with a reasonable card there simply is no lag. All the combat calculations are done client side and the results sent to the server, meaning that combat lag is just not an issue. Even a slower internet connection isn't going to be at much of a disadvantage over someone with fibreoptic mega speeds.

The online aspect of this game, public chat and random other people are not an issue. If you don't want to interact, simply ignore the public chat channels and keep your games private. You won't be bothered in the least. If you want to interact with other players, it is also simple. Join chat channels, open games, jump in to other people's games and have fun.

Good luck to everyone playing, I'll see you in Sanctuary.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 15 May 2012 13:41:07 BDT
A. Vasilciu says:
+1 diablo is back. Plus the collectors edition is really nice. Shame its sold out & selling for silly money now

In reply to an earlier post on 15 May 2012 13:48:36 BDT
Beki says:
I am so pleased that I got my CE before Amazon shut off pre order the first time. And yes I think the prices that have gone up since launch by resellers are shameful. I do think that Blizz missed a trick not providing a digi deluxe version for say a tenner more than standard. The dyes + wings plus a digital unlock of the sound track. This would go a long way towards consoling the ones who missed out and it would drop the price of the boxes at least a little.

Posted on 15 May 2012 13:52:18 BDT
Excellent review, I managed to pick up a Collector's edition this morning for £96 from a random website I'd never heard of before; I hope it's legit!

Amazon was selling the CE this morning for £68 but just as I had finished logging on it had sold out. From what you say in your review, clearly the CE was well worth it.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 May 2012 13:59:48 BDT
Beki says:
Congratulations on finding one that wasn't at a silly price. Yes the CE is so very worth the price, I'd say it's worth the £96 you paid too. I really am so sad for people who are going to be disappointed because they can't afford the over inflated reseller prices.

Thank you for your kind words about the review :)

Posted on 15 May 2012 21:48:15 BDT
Mr D.K Lind says:
Concise and balanced review, thank you very much. I wish more people could show the clarity you show here.

I regretfully cancelled my pre-order of the CE last week. Not because I didn't want it anymore, but circumstances out of my control didn't allow me to afford it at present. If I can find it for a reasonable price (i.e not more than £100) I might purchase it in a few weeks time. A question though; Does the USB stick include Diablo II?

In reply to an earlier post on 15 May 2012 22:22:41 BDT
The USB stick includes D2 and the expansion.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 May 2012 03:00:20 BDT
Thank you.

Yes the USB stick has both Diablo 2 and the LOD expansion on it.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 May 2012 15:41:16 BDT
Last edited by the author on 20 May 2012 15:42:33 BDT
Paladias says:
Mr. D.K. Lind: You probably will not be able to purchase it in the future, as apparently (and sadly) Blizzard does not produce Collector's Edition after the launch.

Same with StarCraft 2, or so I have heard. Explains the reason for the price for Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty - Collector's Edition (PC & Mac) 's price.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 May 2012 15:55:15 BDT
Beki says:
Mr Lind and I were referring to the ones available through Amazon's resellers, we both understand that Blizzard won't produce more. Although you do have a point with price as you can see the resellers are making an indecent profit from the CE already.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.0 out of 5 stars (56 customer reviews)

Used & New from: £179.99