5.0 out of 5 stars "I'm a very open-minded sort of fellow!", 20 April 2013
This review is from: The Bane Chronicles 1: What Really Happened in Peru (Kindle Edition)
I really did not think that my love for Magnus Bane could have grown any larger but man o man was I wrong. How can I have loved something so much and it only be 40 pages? That my friend is the magic of Cassandra Clare and Sarah Rees Brennan... and of course the magic of Magnus himself.

"It was sometimes inconvenient to have the gold-green, slit-pupilled eyes of a cat, but this was usually easily hidden with a small glamour, and if not, well, there were quite a few ladies-and men-who didn't find it a drawback."

I for one love the idea of these novellas. I know there is a lot of talk about them being too short, etc... But what could be better? We are getting ten snapshots into Magnus and a chance to see a few of his previous adventures. Plus, we get one new novella each month for the next 10 months. I love this, and will be counting down to each and every one of them. Then, sometime next year in 2014, they will all be published together in one book. Love, love, love.

"Picture this," said Magnus. "Me with a little monkey friend. I could teach him tricks. I could dress him in a cunning jacket. He could look just like me! But more monkey-shaped."

So, in our first instalment we find Magnus, Ragnor and Catarina visiting Peru. We actually get a glimpse at several different time periods, each one holding it's own little adventure for Magnus and his friends.

I honestly laughed until I cried at several parts. Magnus has such a dry wit and I simply love his overall attitude to life and the situations he finds himself in. But then of course, we all know that Magnus is also a big softie and has a romantic side. We get to see a bit of that also...

"Magnus had a list of favored traits in a partner-black hair, blue eyes, honest..."

There is nothing I would actually change about this story and I can not really explain how excited I am for the following nine releases. If you enjoyed Magnus in The Infernal Devices and The Mortal Instruments then do not hesitate to read this novella and be on the look out for the future ones. I am sure they will be just as filled with action and adventure as this instalment was.

"I can't get enough adventure," Magnus said lightly. "And adventure cannot get enough of me."

Christine
Rainy Day Reads

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]