5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic faithful sound, and more., 19 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Denon AH-D600 Over-Ear Headphone (Electronics)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
For too long I have been spending £50-£100 on headphones, and, to be perfectly honest, mostly I had been quite satisfied with the performance of most of these, while always being aware that there was something "missing".

Audiophile friends allowed me the use of a high-end pair of Denons similar to these, and I was quite impressed, although a little suspicious that maybe I had only been allowed to hear pieces of music which showed the phones up to their best. So I was delighted to be offered the chance to own a pair of these myself, to put them to the test myself, on my own system (Denon), and my own music.

The first thing I noticed on receiving the phones was the sumptuous packaging - a good quality heavy card box, inlaid with a plush red fabric showing off the headphones like some piece of the Crown Jewels displayed in the Tower of London. The next thing that hit me was the unmistakable smell of new leather coming from the ear pad covers.

The headphones are quite heavy, and fit quite tightly, although I have noticed this slackening somewhat with wear over the few weeks I have been using them. There are two cables provided with the phones, one around 3 metres long, and the other much shorter, for use with portable devices. There is also a zipped carry-case which comfortably holds the phones, cables and adapters, for safe transport and/or storage.

I have almost exclusively used these in the comfort of my own front room, listening to many different genres of music on a decent, but not audiophile standard, system. The sound is absolutely breath-taking, mind-blowing, and any other superlative you care to add. Classical orchestral music and opera are a revelation - decent recordings reveal a clarity in individual instruments and vocals which previously just wasn't there - the separation is in some cases almost palpable and it makes it so much easier to concentrates on specific sections of the whole. It is like listening to music in a cathedral - yes you can hear all the music, but you are also aware of all the space around the music, making it sound clearer and even more powerful.

Well-produced rock music also sounds terrific. I was playing albums by the likes of 10CC, Pink Floyd and ELO - original albums I have known for over 40 years, not modern remasters - and I was hearing things I'd never heard before, things which I struggled to hear when I listened again through speakers. Even more lo-fi offerings from the likes of Prefab Sprout revealed a lot of previously unheard stuff going on behind the scenes!

Of course it's still possible just to sit back and let the whole sound wash over you, if you so wish, and the sound is so rich that this can be just as rewarding. One thing I argue with my audiophile friends is that they often tend to listen to music more as critics than as fans, and I am consciously doing my best to avoid that trap myself!

To sum up, I have to say that these headphones have converted me. It IS worth spending a lot more for the additional quality - the rewards are amazing. This particular pair is undoubtedly the best pair of headphones I have ever owned, probably the best I have ever heard.

The only tiny gripe concerns the weight of the phones - they are quite heavy, and although a short cable with a remote is provided, I don't think they are really well suited for portable devices. They are too heavy, and would put a strain on your neck after a couple of hours, so I would possibly look elsewhere if I was looking for phones for my portable device - but I'm not, so I am 100% satisfied.

[Add comment]