5.0 out of 5 stars Good value amazing ultrabook (solution to wifi problem), 15 May 2013
This review is from: Samsung 900X3D 13.3-inch Laptop (Silver) - (Intel Core i5 2537M 1.4GHz Processor, 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD, LAN, WLAN, BT, Webcam, Integrated Graphics, Windows 8) (Personal Computers)
For those who are not sure about the various models, here are the main differences:

NP900X3B - Older generation CPU, Fast Solid State Drive, Expensive
NP900X3C - Newer generation CPU, Slow Solid State Drive, Expensive
NP900X3D - Older generation CPU, Slow Solid State Drive, More attractive pricing

So I have been using this laptop for several weeks and I absolutely love it - apart from the WiFi which I will come to later, despite the downgraded hardware the machine is actually pretty fast. Boot up takes about 2 seconds. I don't do anything graphics intensive on the machine but the laptop handles HD videos with no problem. Battery life is a godsend and if you only browse the internet and use Microsoft Office you will get around 5 hours from it.

For me, this is the first truly portable laptop and I love it. My recommendation is that if money is not an issue then get the NP900X3C otherwise you will be happy to have saved an few hundred pounds.

WiFi Issue and Solution
-----------------------
So this is a problem that I have been having with the WiFi taking a long time to reconnect and constantly dropping to "limited" connection. Updating the driver does not fix the problem. The solution that I finally found is to:

1. Update to the latest driver
2. Go to Device Manager, Expand Network Adapters
3. Right click on "Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235, select Properties
4. Select Advanced tab, go to Preferred Band in the list of options and change value to "Prefer 2.4GHz band".
This should fix the problem. It seems to be a problem with some routers and the technology used in this wireless adapter.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 28 May 2013 18:01:53 BDT
Ollie says:
I've just tried your solution to the wifi problem, hoping it works as i've tried everything!! have youhad any issues with your track pad failing to work? if so do you have a solution?

In reply to an earlier post on 28 May 2013 19:59:42 BDT
Yeah let me know if it works for you because I was pulling my hair out. Such a shame because it is otherwise a great machine. Since I have made the changes, although still not 100% things have improved massively.

I haven't really had problems with my trackpad (except one time it just stopped responding) but I haven't seen it act the same way since, so the only thing I could suggest is to download the latest updates using the samsung update software. What problems are you having?

In reply to an earlier post on 29 May 2013 09:21:28 BDT
Ollie says:
Unfortunately the problem is no better!

I've tried: Updating all software to the latest software, turning off Bluetooth, changing the preferred band to 2.4GHz, and after downloading inSSIDer 3 this band was confirmed as the appropriate one, changing the roaming aggressiveness to high and changing the wireless adapter power save mode to maximum performance when on battery. (All suggestions that i have read). None of which have worked, but have a look at some of those, they may work better for you?

The mouse isn't such an issue compared to the wireless, very rarely now it doesn't respond, so after putting it to sleep it's fine. It was an issue on initial purchase, but after speaking to a samsung advisor on the phone and resetting the drive ((Restart: pressing F2 at Samsung logo, F9 - Enter, F10 - Enter)) it's 95% fixed.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 May 2013 10:09:19 BDT
Yeah I've tried loads of other solutions people have suggested but this seems to be the only thing that worked for me. Like I said it does still drop or fail to connect at times but no way near as bad as it was before.

Just as a suggestion. Try another router to see if you are still experiencing the same issue because it seems to be only one router that I have most problems with.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Jul 2013 00:21:20 BDT
Last edited by the author on 8 Jul 2013 00:26:51 BDT
Hifly says:
I have had a similar sounding wi-fi connection issue with my Samsung series 9. The solution has been to change either my router setting (or the laptop's wi-fi setting if I'm away from home) from dual band (i.e. 20/40 hz or Auto) to just single band (i.e. 20 hz).
The connection never drops when wifi is configured to 'single' band.
The compatibility issue does seem to be with just a few models of router and my Intel centrino 6235 card.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Aug 2013 22:46:09 BDT
Thanks so much for this tip. I tried it and it was working perfectly for awhile and some reason it has stopped working again. I literally cannot stay connected for more than a few minutes. This is so frustrating.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Aug 2013 00:02:18 BDT
Ollie says:
For solution, follow these tips, particularly the driver one. http://forum.notebookreview.com/samsung/727499-wifi-remedies-samsung-laptops.html
‹ Previous 1 Next ›