5.0 out of 5 stars The book we were waiting for to debusk Arthurmania, 27 Dec 2013
This review is from: Worlds of Arthur: Facts and Fictions of the Dark Ages (Hardcover)
Finally, it has come and this book should be handed to every school and library.

As a French person, you can bet I am aware Arthur is a fictional character which is why I was totally bewildered when I realized my British friends were taking his existence as a given.

While understanding the trauma of any invasion, I cannot figure out as why 1500 years or so later one would stand for the losing side when it is clear one's genetic fabric includes Brittonic and Saxon DNAs. Clovis won over Syagrius. Tough. Hengest got rid of Vortirgern. Same tough.

Hence when I got the book, I shuddered at first: it was clearly another book written for the edification of clueless crowds about the mighty king (After watching King Arthur the 2004 movie, I was hesitating between laugh and tears of commiseration) ... until it dawned that this book meant business. serious archaeological business, deep erudite discussions about old written sources.

More I read it, more I like it. Though not a born and bred historian/archaeologist/British citizen/academicc (My realm is in healthcare), I know the writer has taken considerable care in bringing solid information to light. Including the totally bonkers Arthur pub-theory. Anyone able to quote the Doobie Brothers and pub ensigns is a right'un.

Apparently and I finish this review by sharing this piece with you, some of the Arthurian crowd have it that one can follow the right itirenary of Arthiur battles by following the pub posts called : the black horsemen? Si non vero bene trovato.
I just imagine Sarmatian cavalrymen after a long day of battle having a pint or two and possibly having a game of darts with the local Saxon invaders. Nothing personal, mate; nothing personal. Buy this book and like me share the waelth with your friends, they will thank you!

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]