2.0 out of 5 stars Don't let this one put you off from reading Pratchett!, 19 May 2010
This review is from: The Colour of Magic: The First Discworld Novel: 1 (Paperback)
A long time ago, I started reading 'The Colour of Magic' and could not get into it. If it had not been for a wait in a bookshop some years later, that might have been the end of my association with Mr. Pratchett. However, there I was, waiting for someone else to conclude their shopping and picked up the nearest book at hand to pass the time which happened to be one of the later Discworld novels. A few minutes later and I re-joined the queue at the tills to purchase said book. I now have most of the Discworld novels on my shelf and like or love them all apart from... yes, I still have not managed to make my way through 'The Colour of Magic.

So if you are new to Pratchett... start with something else. I'd recommend 'Mort', 'Guards!Guards!' or 'Witches Abroad'. For further inspiration and insights into how other people got on with the Discworld novels, check out this thread on the Amazon book forum:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/tag/fantasy/forum/ref=cm_cd_tfp_ef_tft_tp?_encoding=UTF8&cd Forum=Fx7R5DCJ9UVMQT&cdThread=Tx3MI9L6P36T7TH&displayType=tagsDetail)

You'll soon notice that having a problem with this first book is a common occurrence. Don't let it put you off reading Terry Pratchett. If you like witty, clever humour a la Blackadder and Red Dwarf, chances are you will like most of his books.

And maybe you'll join me one day in the future when we will also get to the end of 'The Colour of Magic' *smile*

PS: I hope I have managed to fix the link!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 2 Sep 2010 13:45:44 BDT
Chris says:
I should have read your review before writing mine. would have saved me the bother. i just have one question - which book dragged you back? as a fan of DW, i'm always interested to hear which book hooked a person. thought you were going to tell us.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Sep 2010 14:24:20 BDT
AnetteF says:
Hi Chris,

I picked up 'The Monstrous Regiment' in a bookshop as I was waiting for someone else to finish at the check-out and just kept turning the pages. After about ten I realised I would need to join the queue myself. Do have a look at the forum thread on the topic as it makes for interesting reading.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Sep 2010 20:06:10 BDT
Chris says:
that thread seems to have disappeared. incidentally i found another which was asking for the best place to start with Pratchett. someone mentioned that the worst place to start is Monstrous Regiment... ha ha. i myself thought it was a great book and can see why you fell for it. though the poster was talking about it being a bit of an outsider, which is true. it does feel a little different in some indefinable way.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Oct 2010 15:54:31 BDT
Last edited by the author on 16 Dec 2010 22:24:26 GMT
AnetteF says:
Hi Chris,

The thread is still there, it's just fallen back in the fantasy forum topics. I hope to have fixed the problem of the broken link, but if it does not work, for anyone interested, try this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/tag/fantasy/forum/ref=cm_cd_tfp_ef_tft_tp?_encoding=UTF8&cd Forum=Fx7R5DCJ9UVMQT&cdThread=Tx3MI9L6P36T7TH&displayType=tagsDetail

(you may need to re-connect the link before pasting it into your browser)

I have seen one or two comments by people who did not like Monstrous Regiment as well, lol. I would still recommend it as an intro into Pratchett above the Colour of Magic anytime!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.2 out of 5 stars (249 customer reviews)

£7.99 £5.27