5.0 out of 5 stars Underrated!, 25 Aug. 2011
This review is from: The Happiness Trap (Based on ACT: A revolutionary mindfulness-based programme for overcoming stress, anxiety and depression) (Paperback)
I felt compelled to review this as seeing four stars for a book like this boggles my mind.

I've had a generalised anxiety disorder since 15 and had a nervous breakdown five months ago with intense anxiety, I had to be checked in to a mental health hospital to recover, you'd think that I didn't know anything about psychology to get into that state, but I've read an almost silly amount. With this book and other ACT books I am now doing better than ever in my life and am grateful for what I went through, as it led me to a life philosophy I will never give up on, in fact I've only just started living at 24 thanks to this. I must have bought every book with even a grain of wisdom on this whole site!

That was just adding to the problem, by constantly telling my brain that this anxiety is not acceptable I was just sending messages of how dangerous this anxiety was and the cycle never broke no matter how much insight I got into my own mind.

This book explains brilliantly and in simple terms how to get out of this trap, if you follow the advice and actually act on it then you can't fail to enhance your life.

ACT is definitely borrowed from Buddhism which seems to bug some people, like they stole it or something, which is bizarre. I really don't think the Buddha would be complaining about how his wisdom is being passed on in a different way more appropriate for people with genuine mental health problems. And one reviewers mention of this book's "political correctness" warps my mind, I genuinely have no idea what he's even referring to. Also I'd say that any form of therapy that works incorporates something the Buddha said as he essentially did figure out the crux of human suffering, so whether they notice it or not they will be repeating his theories for a modern age. The word buddhism has a stigma, that despite it's efficiency, turns some people off. Therapy has to stay away from that so as not to alienate people.

All I can say is that I've bought probably 100 + books on therapy or ancient wisdom or philosophy and gave them my full attention and all that did was make things worse, had I found this book and realised buying books was part of the problem I could have lived a much fuller life up to this point. Russ Harris reads like a genuinely nice, down to earth guy and this book is also great for people without mental health problems that just want to cope with life a bit better. Don't make the same mistake I made!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 16 Nov 2011 18:00:36 GMT
Eve says:
Fantastic comment, just felt I had to come on and say that, as it perfectly sums up my experience of the book (and life to date!) too. I must have read just about every book going and finally I feel I'm learning about true acceptance, not quite achieved it yet but do feel that I may at last be on my way!

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Nov 2011 15:30:00 GMT
N. Harris says:
Thanks Eve! If only more people knew about it!

Posted on 6 May 2012 10:56:10 BDT
reviews says:
ha ha. Good point about the buddha. Most books are a matter of finding a match with the reader. I like his down-to-earth, say it like it is way of writing about life. I just wish some of the Russ Harris groups would set up in the north of England.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›