5.0 out of 5 stars At this price snap it up, 28 Nov 2012
This review is from: Monitor Audio I-DECK 200 Wired Active (Personal Computers)
After my Bose Sounddock died on me after 4 years the hunt was on for another dock to replace it. As funds are tight and as I feel the Bose is overpriced for what it is I initially looked at the cheaper end of the market and went for a Klipsch I-groove HG, which many seem to believe is as good if not better than the Bose. Well for the 50 it is going for now it is indeed very good and if this is your maximum budget it is definitely a "must listen". But to me it wasn't as good as the Bose so I decided to look at docks in the 100 price bracket, which is when I came across the Monitor Audio Ideck at 150. As I have previously owned some fairly good separates hifi the brand was familiar to me and therefore appealed so I decided to push the boat out and go for it.

I am not disappointed-firstly this is a really solid bit of kit which belies the relatively low price tag, though I believe it is being discontinued and therefore heavily discounted at present. Be warned it isn't as compact as something like a Bose so will take up a fair amount of room on your table/cabinet whatever. It is also strictly "no frills" a dinky but basic remote control being provided. To me it looks much better in the metal/plastic than it does in the pictures too.

But sound quality is the most important thing and here it doesn't disappoint. I have about 6000 songs on my Ipod, all fairly compressed-I know I should use lossless/FLAC but haven't got round to it. The beauty of this dock is that even my fairly compressed stuff sounds excellent on it, and has me wondering how good it must be with higher quality files. I haven't had the guts to wind it up to full volume yet but suffice to say only the most ardent "headbanger" could fail to be impressed by output and in particular lack of distortion even at highish volumes.

My tastes are predominantly rock/pop so haven't tried other genres but would be surprised if it doesn't do a similarly good job-music has drive and clarity, bass isn't overwhelming but there is plenty enough there and treble, unlike, to my ears at least, the klipsch, isn't "splashy" or tinny.

There are foibles, no dock will ever be as good as a proper separates hifi or even a decent mini system but if you accept these limitations you will be amazed just how good this thing is. Another minor irritation is that the remote control, whilst neat, isn't always as precise as it could be and seems to be position dependant to a degree.

But the bottom line is this-if there is a better dock out there for a ton and a half then I would love to hear it. If you are after a dock with great sound quality, real drive and power but which can hold back when required, and don't mind not having all the bells and whistles, then I would strongly recommend you don't hesitate and get yourself this before they are gone. A great dock and best of all it's British too. Monitor Audio can be proud of this one.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]