ARRAY(0xaa89d768)

4.0 out of 5 stars much to be desired.., 19 Oct 2010
This review is from: Wild One,The: The Very Best Of (Std Edtn) 25 Track (Audio CD)
I've never owned a cd of Johnny O'Keefe in my collection, so when I saw this particular cd in the local cd shop for only 9,99 $, I gave it a try.

THE FRONT COVER: The gold background reminds me on Elvis nr.1 hits cd, and there is a picture of the man with the microphone in the middle. Poor choice. That person can be anyone..They've probably tried to be modern, but I'd appreciate a real photo of Johnny O'Keefe on the front cover and maybe some more colorful presentation.

THE SOUND: When I put the cd in my cd player I was really disappointed with the sound quality. In the first two songs instruments sound muffled and the bass is way too heavy. Maybe they are just badly recorded, I don't know..
The rest is better, although I have a feeling that the overall sound is messy and dull (lifeless) with again too much low level (bass) tones . I should also add that there is a statement in the booklet from the sound engineer who claims that the songs have been mastered from the original master tapes. I'm not impressed with the result I'm afraid..

THE MUSIC: Although on the cover it says THE VERY BEST the producers didn't include a few significant Johnny O'Keefe's hits: Swanee River/ The Steady Game (# 12), Don't You Know (#1), Ready For You (#4), Shake Baby Shake (# 8), It's Too Late (#1 in New Orleans in 1960), Six O Clock Rock etc.
They've put some covers instead (To Love Somebody, When I Fall In Love, The Twist, You're So Square (Baby I Don't Care)). They don't sound as good as the original versions in my opinion.

THE BOOKLET: The booklet is well presented, with some photos of Johnny O'Keefe and a nice essay about J.O.K. career. The only thing is that they didn't bother to mention the year each track was recorded. It would be nice to mention the chart positions too..

However, despite imperfections, there is lots of good music on this cd, and the casual Johnny O'Keefe fan will be happy to buy it. The wildest rock'n'roll singer in the history of Australian music surely knew how to rock!

NOTICE: This is review of the 1 cd edition of "Johnny O'Keefe - The Wild One - The Very Best"!

Track List:

01. Do You Love Me
02. You Excite Me
03. Move Baby Move
04. She's My Baby
05. The Wild One (Real Wild Child)
06. Shout (Parts 1 & 2)
07. To Love Somebody
08. I'm Counting On You
09. To Love
10. Sing
11. Right Now
12. So Tough
13. Ooh Poo Pah Doo (Parts 1 & 2)
14. Come On And Take My Hand
15. Save The Last Dance For Me
16. She Wears My Ring
17. I Thank You
18. When I Fall In Love
19. I Can't Stop Loving You
20. The Twist
21. Mockingbird (with Margaret McClaren)
22. You're So Square (Baby I Don't Care)
23. Rock'n'Roll Will Stand
24. I Ain't Gonna Do It
25. The Wild One (tribute by Jet & Iggy Pop)

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]