4.0 out of 5 stars Great Read - Apart From The Ending, 25 Aug 2013
This review is from: Gone Girl (Kindle Edition)
Amy and Nick are married for five years, but there is not much harmony left. All of a sudden, Amy is missing. And from there, a more and more surprising and devious plot develops, cleverly and elegantly put together by a very talented writer.

It is difficult to talk about the plot without risking spoilers. So let's say this: It is not a conventional thriller. There are twists and totally surprising developments, we are getting manipulated and are lied to by both protagonists. It's not only a thriller, the book is also about unconventional truths about love and marriage. Sadly, the ending is a disappointment. Best not to expect too much from it and just enjoy the reading of the novel as such.

The book is always straightforward and readable, but maybe there are a few digressions too many. I can't help but feeling that nowadays thriller writers feel the need to expand their books to 600 pages when 400 would have done just as well. That's stupid, because it automatically weakens the suspense.

Gillian Flynn really deconstructed love and marriage here a lot, so I have a suggestion for readers who would like to read a (shorter) crime novel which is thrilling, full of dark humor and lets you believe in love again: Heads Off (A Lisa Becker Mystery)

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 25 Oct 2013 09:19:02 BDT
Avid Reader says:
My thoughts entirely, though I did like the ending.
I thought the book was cleverly written and readable especially the mid-section but found the 'cat and mouse' game towards the end a little long winded. Interestingly the author, in her acknowledgements, mentions that her editor encouraged her to keep going with the story when she says she was around 80% finished. Maybe that was a sign that she needed to condense the storyline.

Posted on 21 Jan 2014 22:44:16 GMT
Karen W says:
I totally agree. The twist in the plot half-way through was genius but the ending was a big let-down for me. It went on a bit too long and the conclusion was unsatisfactory.

Posted on 23 Jan 2014 23:12:32 GMT
FOXY LADY says:
I agree with the above review. There were times when I was hooked but on a few instances I started to become bored. Overall I enjoyed the novel very much but not the best book I have read.

Posted on 27 Feb 2014 00:59:57 GMT
I tend to agree with the above. From about 20% in I was totally hooked and could barely put it down. However, by the 85% mark it was becoming less compelling and I was just looking forward to it picking up to a good conclusion. Sadly, that never came, leaving me feeling cheated.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Apr 2014 18:03:08 BDT
I loved the ending.Not what I was expecting,but clever and unconventional.

Posted on 8 May 2014 01:32:26 BDT
J. Thomas says:
The last sentence was magnificent and fitted the character spot on.

Posted on 24 Jun 2014 14:15:55 BDT
The ending was much more satisfying than anything I had imagined.. what a bombshell. So glad she didn't go for the typical Hollywood ending and wrap it up nicely.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Jul 2014 08:49:04 BDT
Wow, that's weird advice from an editor. They're usually the ones who are against self indulging padding.

Posted on 23 Jul 2014 20:31:58 BDT
Steven Prior says:
Just finished this book and got to agree about the ending. Can't remember the last time I was so frustrated and disappointed with an ending. I thought I had skipped a chapter by accident before I realised that was the ending. Fingers crossed the reports are right and she has changed the ending for the film version.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.8 out of 5 stars (4,163 customer reviews)
 (1,551)