3.0 out of 5 stars odds and ends, 17 Jun 2014
This review is from: Magical Mystery Tour (Audio CD)
The actual MMT tracks (the first six) see the Beatles at their lowest ebb creatively, spaced out and knackered after Sergeant Pepper, and inclined to let any old thing pass - especially Harrison, hacked off with the group and at being under contract to Northern Songs. His Blue Jay Way is a poor effort, a boring song about being bored. Most of the others are also below par; I Am The Walrus is a classic, I guess, but not a favourite of mine. The larky 'performance' (ie mime) in the film belies the fact that nobody else - except perhaps Nirvana - has been anything like this caustic about their own audience.

Of the other tracks, Penny Lane and Strawberry Fields belong to the Sgt Pepper sessions; the others are okay post-Pepper singles, pleasant enough but not their best work. Not until the following year would they get off the acid and begin to raise their standards again - though tensions would rise along with them.

As a whole, it can't be compared to the classic Beatles albums because it simply isn't an album; it's an EP, mediocre by their standards, with some other oddments stuck on. Personally I think the film is, if anything, probably better than the music and more influential than people realise - eg I'm pretty sure the young Pythons watched it with interest.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 18 Jun 2014 21:28:45 BDT
Last edited by the author on 18 Jun 2014 21:30:33 BDT
AJ-99 says:
I saw the film the last time it was on and was unexpectedly charmed. Such a strange thing for the Beatles to embark on at that point, I suppose similar in impulse to Pepper - this basically affectionate tribute to that vanishing Northern working-man's clubs and charabanc day-trip culture - as a child I caught the end of these and knew all those characters and the film is like a nostalgic little time-capsule now.

I'm really posting to thank you again for your Byzantine recommendations which I just got around to. Count Belisarius was really excellent, very nearly as good as Claudius. I'm surprised it hasn't been dramatized but I suppose the prospect of inviting comparisons to the TV Claudius might be intimidating. Also enjoyed the Alexiad. I think I mentioned I already had Walter Scott's 'Count Robert of Paris' to complete the hat-trick - I just started that to discover to my delight that Anna and Alexius are actually characters in it - it's amusing to go from the real thing to Scott's caricatures. He actually does a pastiche of the Alexiad at one point - or a rather unfair pis-tache really (pardon punagram to circumvent swear-filters).

Hope you are flourishing.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Jun 2014 20:43:50 BDT
gille liath says:
Not so bad mate, hope you are too.

Always glad to be of service. I don't like Belisarius as much as Claudius - it's not quite as strong a story, I was irritated by the digressions at court, and in the end it's a bit depressing (the part about his eyes being put out is thought to be apocryphal, though). I guess I'd have preferred it to have been a straightforward Boy's Own adventure, the best parts for me are the early campaigns. And that could be one reason why it hasn't been adapted for the screen: it would have to be a full-scale Hollywood production, not a little BBC TV show. Unlike Claudius, you'd never get away with having all the battles off-stage.

The Scott sounds good, I might have a wee read of that myself. Pis-tache is a neologism with potential; it might be something to do with little green nuts, then again it might have culinary connotations...
‹ Previous 1 Next ›