5.0 out of 5 stars The best series out there at the moment. No doubt., 10 April 2014
This review is from: The Wolf in Winter (Charlie Parker Thriller) (Hardcover)
Thank you kindly to Ellie Cheele for arranging the copy via Netgalley. You are now one of my favourite people!

The community of Prosperous, Maine has always thrived when others have suffered. Its inhabitants are wealthy, its children’s future secure. It shuns outsiders. It guards its own. And at the heart of the Prosperous lie the ruins of an ancient church, transported stone by stone from England centuries earlier by the founders of the town . . .
Charlie Parker has been marked to die so that Prosperous may survive.

First things first – if you have not yet started this series then LOOK AWAY NOW there may be minor spoilers ahead for previous novels (very minor but still!) and also – on top of that – if you HAVENT read them then why the heck not? Off you go. Every Dead Thing is where you start..

So we come to “The Wolf in Winter”. At the end of the previous book the murky relationship between Charlie and The Collector hit dangerous territory..and life for all my favourite characters was about to get more interesting. And deadly. As we open, the aftershocks of previous events resonate and thats before our Mr Parker comes to the notice of the inhabitants of a town called Prosperous…

I find these books quite difficult to review if I’m honest. When I review Stephen King I often want to shout “JUST READ IT its brilliant what else do you need to know?” And I could easily apply that to all the works of Mr Connolly, most especially this particular series. And this instalment has left me traumatised, desperate for more, completely out of breath and absolutely in awe. Of the writing, of the depth of the mythology he has created here, at the sheer stunning emotional resonance of the people that inhabit that world. I have rarely come across such depth of character – so deep that you really do feel you know them all. I often have the feeling, that should somebody evil do something nasty to me, that Charlie, Louis and Angel would track them to the ends of the earth. That is how real they become during the reading…

Prosperous is a scary place indeed. And once more Charlie and co will encounter the worst that the world has to offer and will not look away. It may be my favourite one yet for pure adrenalin rush – but to get into the plot too deeply is to spoil it indeed and I’m not going to do that. And some of you have a long way to go before you get here..

The supernatural elements aside, there is always more to these than meets the eye, they are terrifically well constructed novels that MUST be read in order to fully appreciate the Russian Doll quality of the the progression…one piece of information leading to the next, past acts echoing through present events..and always right at the heart and soul of it sits Private Detective Charlie Parker. Both his light and his darkness, his morality and his struggle with it. A truly amazing creation surrounded by other truly amazing creations, all making up a truly magnificent reading experience.

I have always said that Stephen King is the best writer out there (for me) and I tag myself as a SK fanatic. Because I am. The Wolf in Winter however means that I am now, officially, a John Connolly fanatic also. No doubt. Does he have an end game in mind for Mr Parker? I don’t want to know lest it destroy me…

Read it. Live it. Love it.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 10 Apr 2014 10:09:32 BDT
Esther Pont says:
you are my new favourite person! seriously? can you review every book ever! I already love the series but have trouble putting my love for it into words that accurately describe the genius behind connolly writing, but now youve done it for me! thanks! :)

Posted on 10 Apr 2014 10:18:07 BDT
McK says:
Great review, although I skim read the last few paragraphs in case their was anything to spoil the new book.

My copy has not arrived yet, but I will be dropping everything as soon as it arrives.

Personally I think Connolly is miles ahead of King now, Conolly still has to write his IT, Shining or Salem's Lot but for consistency I think Connolly has it.

Posted on 12 Apr 2014 15:39:09 BDT
I walked past Waterstones yesterday, little thinking that a new John Connolly was out. Off to download it on my kindle now! My first Charlie Parker not in Hardback. What a world we live in now.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Apr 2014 09:31:52 BDT
Liz Wilkins says:
Thank you its very kind of you. I do love these books so much!

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Apr 2014 09:33:22 BDT
Liz Wilkins says:
Yes he certainly has it, which becomes even more clear to me when I read the non Parker novels. I agree re consistency for sure! I actually have King, Connolly and now Sarah Pinborough as the 3 authors that keep being in 1st 2nd and 3rd place respectively for me depending on what I'm reading!

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Apr 2014 09:33:50 BDT
Liz Wilkins says:
I had an Advance review digital copy but I've still bought the hardback - I have book collection OCD. :)

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Apr 2014 11:34:33 BDT
McK says:
Liz - Along with parker series I would also fully recommend the Matthew Corbitt Series by Robert McCammon. Speaks The Nightbird (Strange tile - fantastic book) is the first, I would put it on par with Connolly. Different era being 18th Century America but very well written.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Aug 2014 23:42:08 BDT
Liz Wilkins says:
Thanks McK I'll take a look out for them.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Aug 2014 16:12:01 BDT
I. Matabaro says:
Also in the same vein a close second to Parker (IMO) are Preston and Childs Pendergast series. Edge of your seat page-turners..

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Aug 2014 16:13:09 BDT
I. Matabaro says:
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (225 customer reviews)

£14.99 £7.00