4.0 out of 5 stars Optical Digital Output distorts severely, 27 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Panasonic TX-P50VT50B 50-inch Full HD 1080p 3D Smart VIERA LED TV with Freeview HD and Freesat HD (discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)
My star ratings (out of 5)
Panasonic service: Zero
Dealer: 5
TV picture: 4 (because of sever reflections in any but the darkest room). Otherwise very good.

Here is my experience to date. Anyone experience the same/similar problem? I am awaiting a response from Panasonic to an Email. Will update as the situation develops. I point out that delivered was TX-P50VT65B (the replacement model for VT50B). Notified Panasonic Friday midday, they replied Wednesday midday with a useless Public Relations Email. Good job the dealer knew what to do!!

I have had this TV 7 days. Dated 1200hrs Friday 25 October.
1)3 times when switching channel I have had a loud harsh, hacking, staccato noise. The picture is OK. The sound is loud enough to destroy the speakers. Signal strength/quality is 10 (ten). I switch channels & everything is OK. I immediately return to the original channel without problem.
2)Initially when switching on the `start menu screen' shows. Shortly (5 or 10 seconds) after I select the required channel there is a 3dB to 6db sound level reduction. Why? What can I do to fix it? I am using the digital optical audio output with a high quality cable. An alternative cable I have is the same. An update from mid-November: The noise dip differential just stopped occurring & I turned my pre-amp down accordingly.

UPDATE @ 2330hrs Saturday 26/10/2013
The `hacking noise' reported in point 1 above has occurred on Channels 101 & 102 but only on the optical output, the TV audio is unaffected. The hacking sound persisted even after repeated switching (over 10 minutes) to other channels & resetting the DAC. Repeatedly switching ON/OFF the TV had no effect, noise continued on these 2 channels. So now it is MUCH worse & persistent than ever before. Will check on Sunday the situation.

Another point is that the screen is so black that when daytime viewing (not very often) all the room can be seen reflected in the screen (somewhat annoying even with the curtains drawn).

OK watching MotoGP Sunday afternoon, strong reflections from my south facing lounge even with the curtains drawn. I switch on & the noise problem is immediately there on channels 101/102. I do couple of channels hops & it's only on these 2. I go back to 101/102 & still bad. More channel hops but no others show this problem. Then I'm back with 102 for the Moto GP & no problem (no hacking noise), everything perfect. So perhaps only 101/102 occasionally affected!! I emphasise only Optical audio output affected, TV audio is OK.

Sunday evening the noise fault repeatedly occurred on 101 & after 20 minutes I gave up using the Optical Output.

Monday AM. I am advised by the dealer to change 'Audio SPDIF' from 'Auto' to 'PCM'. Done so let's see what happens.
2 weeks later I can report that selecting PCM seems to have solved the problem.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]