5.0 out of 5 stars A great and cheap player with bundled software!, 4 July 2011
This review is from: Plextor PX-B120U USB Slim Top Loading External Blu-ray Reader (Electronics)
I will split this review into three sections: (1) the hardware, (2) the bundled software and (3) other comments.

(1) The hardware
The player feels good, and it has an attractive design with high-gloss black plastic on the top and on the front. On the top there is a greyish-blue ripple effect (not as obvious as on the Amazon product image). Despite its low weight, it feels quite well-built!
I like the top-loading design choice as it saves space when inserting and removing discs.
The stop/eject button could have been done better - it is a little flimsy and it is overly large. But it works, so there really is no problem. Also included is a blue activity LED, which I find is too bright (I wouldn't watch a movie with this LED flashing behind or beside my computer). But, of course, this can easily be covered up by placing an object in front of it. It should be mentioned that I, perhaps, am quite sensitive with this sort of thing. I consider all activity lights on electronics to be too bright and too obvious.
All in all: Good hardware with a few minor flaws that are not big enough to subtract from the overall rating.

(2) The bundled software
Included with this player is CyberLink PowerDVD 9 BD, which, of course, is capable of playing Blu-ray Discs. There is not a lot to say about this. The software works great and is easy to work with. Just be sure you update the application as soon as you launch it! There should be an update of around 100 MB available, which will greatly improve the application. If you were to watch a BD before updating, you would be very disappointed with the picture quality of your Blu-ray Disc! This update is crucial.
Also, be sure to deactivate all of the TrueTheater Effects crap that the application comes with! It is a disgrace.

(3) Other comments
If anyone is interested, I can tell you that my setup is a high-end 15" MacBook Pro from 2011. I run Windows 7 64-Bit with Bootcamp on it, and everything works great! Except for keyboard shortcuts in PowerDVD (space for pausing, S for stop and so on), but I can't say whether this is because of a bug in the application or because of my Bootcamp setup.
The player works in Mac OS X as well, but there is no software available for playback.
I am using this cable to connect my MacBook Pro to my Sony Bravia TV: 1.8m - Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Cable by Neet® - ( VIDEO Adapter lead for Apple iMac- Unibody MacBook - Pro - Air & PC with Mini DP etc. )**Supports Audio**
I can confirm that it works with both picture and sound in Bootcamp on my MacBook Pro. Just remember to select the correct sound output in the settings of PowerDVD 9 BD.

All in all, this is a great product. It's probably the cheapest external Blu-ray player you will find, too.
5/5 stars.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 25 Aug 2011 22:31:36 BDT
Someone says:
Thanks for the review. There are not many external DB readers in the market and definitely not at this price. I was thinking of getting my new laptop with BD player at £100 extra, then I thought it is wiser to buy it external to use it elsewhere as well. I don't think I ever need to burn a BD as the industry deliberately engineered BD not to be transferable (they shot themselves in the foot I guess).

I also find bright indicator lights very annoying and distracting so I came up with a solution to paint over them with a non permanent marker. You can still see the light, it just dims it a little and you can always wipe it out.

Posted on 15 Aug 2012 16:46:01 BDT
Olespice says:
Thanks for mentioning the type of computer you are using with it. So many people have no idea how useful it is to know what kind of equipment is being used with any other hardware bought on the internet . . .

Posted on 15 Aug 2012 16:47:42 BDT
Olespice says:

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Feb 2013 01:18:28 GMT
groucho says:
agreed.
Can only hope it works as well with low- and medium-end equipment too.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›