5.0 out of 5 stars I have just converted......., 21 Jan 2011
This review is from: New Apple iMac 21.5" All-In-One Desktop PC (LED Backlit Screen, 3.06Ghz, Core-i3, 4Gb RAM, 500Gb HDD, ATI Radeon HD 4670 graphics, Slot-loading 8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW) (Launched July 2010) (Electronics)
Like most people here I became increasingly frustrated as my Windows lap top deteriorated to such a frustratingly slow speed I decided to jump the Microsoft ship and go with Apple.
I have now owned my 21.5 Imac for about 3 months - having had literally no experience of Macs prior to opening the box I have the following comments, which I hope may be useful to you if you are considering purchasing a Mac....

First the good..

1. Looks. It really does look very, very good. Even before you switch it on. I still glance at it as if it was a Porsche on my driveway!
2. Screen. The detail, contrast and colours that the screen is able to produce is remarkable, a huge leap in quality from my last PC. Photos really look stunning on this screen and the web now appears to be a beautifully colourful place.
3. Speed. My last laptop took about an hour to run a Virus scan. I ran one last night on my Mac and it took 2 minutes. Importing songs to Itunes takes half the time. It Updates my Ipod in a flash.
4. Speed. My Mac goes from off (not standby) to on and surfing the web in under 20 seconds. With my old laptop I had time to make a cup of tea!
5. Snow Leopard. This is the operating system that the Mac uses and is the equivalent of Windows on PC's. I have found it on the whole very intuitive. I would recommend going to one of the free lessons at an Apple Store near to you - they last an hour and cover all the basics. There have been a few settings that I have wanted to change. Adding right click to my mouse, full screen browsing etc and all of this was covered. You will probably be slightly baffled if you have never used a Mac before as it is very different to Windows but you do pick it up quickly and even after such a short time I now prefer this operating system to windows (that i have been using for 10 years or more)
6. No antivirus. There are some free ones that you can download for free to be extra safe but after much research the general concencus is that Macs do not need any Antivirus.

The bad.

1. I am still unsure of why my Mac has a DVD drive and not Blu Ray.
2. Thanks to my small children the screen smudges very easily and is difficult to clean.

Personally I think the Mac is fantastic, I will never buy a windows based operating system again - If i am honest the only real disappointment is that it took me so long to convert to Apple.

[Add comment]