ARRAY(0xa83eb9f0)

4.0 out of 5 stars Gory but Good, 24 July 2013
This review is from: Lord Loss (Book One of The Demonata) (Paperback)
As you will have noticed on my blog I have just read the Darren Shan Saga and loved it, I got obsessed with it and couldn't put it down. So naturally I requested this series to read when I had finished.
I'd actually intended to take a break before starting this series, I have a book I have to read for a group at work for this Friday (2 days away) so I was going to read that today, but I was drawn to this instead. Let's just hope I can catch up tomorrow.
I wasn't sure what to expect from this series really, I'd heard it was a lot darker than the Shan series and I'm quite wimpy when it comes to horror so I really didn't know if I would like it.
This book is quite gory and is very dark, it isn't like anything I would normally pick up but I did find myself hooked and it flows well and is so easy to read that I had finished it within 2 hours. It passed in a blur, and left me wanting more.
For a 'seriously scary book' I didn't actually find the demons themselves that scary, description/appearance wise it didn't bother me that much, they just seemed to be a type of deformed monster, the bits I didn't like the most were the gory bits. That's what disturbed me the most, the death of Grubb's family was really disgusting and conjured some horrible images. That was what makes it 'horror', the demons themselves didn't seem that bad.
I didn't like Grubbs as a character at first, it took a lot of time for me to get to like him and feel really interested in him, but the plot was so well constructed I had to read on anyway.
A good start to a series, and one I will definitely keep reading, just be warned it's not for the squeamish!

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]