5.0 out of 5 stars Great Camera good battery life, 19 Nov 2010
This review is from: Canon PowerShot SX130 IS Digital Camera (12.1 Megapixel, 12x Zoom, 3.0 inch LCD Screen) (discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)
I had been used to a 10x zoom on my old Olympus C765 but more recently (2007) bought a Canon IXUS 70 as I wanted something very small to take some pics while on business trips etc. This my first Canon quickly became my favorite as the pictures were so good and it was so easy to use.

I decided to get a new camera to replace the functionality of both these camera's. I looked at the Panasonic TZ8/10 but did not like the artificially sharp images. I looked at the Canon SX210 also and after studying a 100 or so images taken with this camera from Flickr and other photo sites concluded that the degree of purple/green fringing on high contrast areas around the outer parts of the images was not acceptable.

I then found the SX130 IS and the features and picture quality won me over. The price with the 20 Canon cashback made this a no-brainer! 136 for this spec is amazing. I ordered Sunday night and Amazon delivered Tues afternoon using the free Super Saver service. The expected date they had predicted as Wednesday. So great service from Amazon!

If you are worried about battery life - there is a particular You Tube review slating this aspect - don't worry at all. I've used this camera quite a lot since I received it and it's still on the first pair of re-chargeable batteries. I used Duracell Supreme 2450 mAh NiMH batteries. I've been taking video's, flash pictures as well as many still images. I have also sat for ages working around the menu's and features (as you do with a new toy!) and there is still no sign of the battery warning. I have reduced the brightness of the display which must help. I found it to be too bright in normal use. A also cancelled servo AF which continuously tries to re-focus even when you are sat going through the menus with the camera pointing at the floor! It's not necessary to have this on all the time but it is set on by default.

The best pictures so far I have attained using the P - Program mode setting. I used my IXUS 70 this way with great results. In Auto mode I had some good results but also some strange results in poor lighting or dull weather.

Some reviews stated that the camera was slow in operation. I use it with a veho 4Gb class 6 card and it's absolutely fine. No waiting for data saving at all.

The 'wheel' for selecting menu's and values is not very good. My finger tends to not grip the wheel when attemting to turn it. I have dry skin. So I press harder to get grip but this then activates the functions available by pressing the wheel at the 12, 3, 6, 9 o' clock postions. Thankfully very few features need the wheel - those that do usually respond to pressing the left right 3 or 9 o'clock postions anyway.

I'm very pleased with the excellent video quality and stereo sound especially indoors at a family birthday yesterday!

The camera seems reasonably well built it feels well made. This model is made in China. It's larger and a little heavier than the IXUS as you would expect. The Zoom operates very smoothly and quietly.
It's pocketable, inside pocket of a coat is fine. The wrist strap does not have a tensioner like the IXUS 70 which is annoying.

Canon uk website recommends the DCC-750 case for this model which is like a woven bag. On the Canon US website they specify PSC-3300 which is Leather case similar to the IXUS cases which I would prefer. I've also been looking at the case Amazon do for the Powershot G series G11? as this camera has similar dimensions.

All in all very pleased with the camera and the image quality, which is excellent.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 13 Dec 2010 12:22:20 GMT
Last edited by the author on 13 Dec 2010 12:23:02 GMT
S. Hawkins says:
can you tell me if the zoom pops up automatically when you turn the camera on please?

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Mar 2012 10:03:29 GMT
Devonian says:
If you really mean 'zoom', then yes it comes out very quickly as soon as you turn the camera on to take a shot. If you only wish to review the shots/videos already taken and therefore press only the 'playback' button, then - no - the lens stays put.

If you were actually referring to whether the 'flash' popped up, then - no - that has to be lifted manually. I like that feature as there's no need to go through a menu to activate/disable it if needed; I was recently as a school concert and - whilst allowing photos to be taken - they asked for no flash to be used. Needless to say, some parents clearly lacked the ability to turn off their camera's flash; with the SX130, it's just not a problem and can be done in the dark.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›