4.0 out of 5 stars A Good, Honest Bit of Kit, 31 Oct. 2013
This review is from: BW® New Arrival MTK6582 Quad Core 1GB RAM 4GB ROM Android 4.2 Mobile Phone 5.5" IPS 960*540 Screen WCDMA 3G Unlocked Dual Sim Smartphone -- White (Electronics)
I bought this phone in December 2012 but didn't review it at the time. Now, after 10 months use, the time has come.
As many have said it comes with a second battery but I've only ever used it once or twice on very heavy work days when I've been on the phone constantly. Usually I charge the phone every second or third night, but I'm not a heavy user. The extra battery would only really come into its own if there were a desktop charger available to fit the battery but I've never been able to find one. (Finally I made my own using an old charger with compatible pin contacts and a bit of plywood)!
Mine came with Android 4.0.9 but I see they now have 4.1.1 installed. The OS on mine has never faltered, never frozen up or anything, unlike my previous Samsung.
There was a fair bit of bloatware that needed weeding out; unwanted games and some Chinese stuff I didn't understand, but it didn't take long to sort out.
The dual-sim feature is what I was after and this is where the phone shines. It has accepted every sim I've tried in it with no issues. I work overseas so rather than pay for roaming I buy a local prepay sim and use it in the 2G slot, or in the the 3G data-enabled slot if the local rates are cheap enough as they often are. We pay far too much for mobile service in the UK, IMO. The only issue was that initially I couldn't get any internet connection (other than WiFi) but I found a helpful forum which gave the correct APN settings for vodafone, which I was using at the time. When I changed to 3 network there was no issue, nor was there on local networks in Azerbaijan, Australia, Georgia, UAE, India or Spain.
The screen is usefully big. I can update my accounting spreadsheet, write invoices, timeheets and expense claims using one of the free office apps from Play Store. I generally do this on the plane home (in flight safe mode, natch), and it sits in the outbox until I get off the plane when the phone sends out my paperwork and remotely prints anything I need printed on my office printer using Epson Connect.
The display is not the sharpest but it's more than good enough for most purposes. It's certainly good enough for YouTube clips and the like.
The touchscreen is very sensitive and responsive although there is sometimes a little lag when scrolling, but it's never bad enough to cause a problem. The sensitivity is useful as I use Swype a lot for text entry.
The camera as many have pointed out is not 8MP as claimed. More like about 5MP, but works very well. This phone is a working tool for me so I don't need anything fancy in the camera department. Generally I take pictures to illustrate reports or photograph things before I take them apart as an aid to reassembly and it's more than good enough for that. There's no image stabilisation though, so you need a steady hand.
Internet connection is way faster than on my old Galaxy S or S2, but that is most likely because I switched to 3 network - other carriers are glacially slow in my area. On WiFi it picks up my home network better than my tablet, all over a big old house with thick stone walls.
I rarely use the GPS but it worked fine anytime I tried it.
The headphones supplied are rubbish. I put them back in the box and modified a better pair to fit. A few minutes with a scalpel did it. The problem is that the connector is on a radiused edge of the phone so the hole is deeper on one side than the other. I carefully trimmed one side of the jack plug until the connector cleared the obstruction and Voila! Since then I have found a set with a much skinnier plug that worked fine so it's worth trying a few until you find a set that work. Or I see no reason a Bluetooth set wouldn't work, at the expense of caning the battery.
The supplied flip cover is excellent. My screen is still perfect even though I never used the screen protector supplied. I bought a new flip cover about a month ago to smarten it up a bit and because the original had split around the edge.
The Home key on mine is a little insensitive, sometimes needing two presses but it's no more than a minor niggle.
I ordered my phone from BUYSKU via Amazon and got it 8 days later, which was better than expected. I paid £116 for it, but I see the price on Amazon has dropped and you can get it for about 20 quid less now. Given that I think it was a bargain when I got it, it's even more of one now. It is, as I have said, a good honest tool and the only reason for subtracting a star is the headphones issue. It could so easily have been corrected at the design stage.
Something that needs to be mentioned is that it came with a 2 pin continental style charger and a cheap adaptor for UK 3 pin power sockets. If you get the same PLEASE JUNK THE ADAPTOR and buy a proper UK standard one. The supplied adaptors are cheap and so shoddily made that they are potentially dangerous. The internal contacts are loose and the high resistance across them can cause the adaptor to get hot or even catch fire. Trust me - I'm an engineer. And a quality adaptor will cost no more than a couple of quid.
There you have it. After nearly a year I have no regrets and would unhesitatingly buy another if I break this one. Recommended :-)

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]