4.0 out of 5 stars very handy, 22 Aug. 2010
This review is from: Sagemcom DTR67320T Freeview + Digital TV Recorder 320GB (Electronics)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've been using this Freeview HDD recorder for 3 months with only a couple of minor problems.

As a technophobe I dread the arrival of electronic items. I have vivid recollections of "attach male cable JF796XYto modulus female connection 163/27B via S892 feminine connector section P" (connecting our first video recorder - give me flat pack furniture anytime). Being a technophobe I can only comment on the ease or difficulty of the usability; functionality and connection; as well as appearance.

Inside the box I received the Sagem Freeview recorder, a remote control, 2 AAA batteries, the power cable, and SCART cable.

CONNECTION: There are a number of connection ports (13) of various shapes and sizes on the rear of the machine which would normally have been daunting - I can recognise a SCART connection port and the HDMI port is clearly labelled. Fortunately, all the other port connections are covered by the diagrams in the user manual.

There is a basic diagram showing how to connect the box to the TV and the aerial. Once connected to the TV and aerial you can move onto the more complex diagram showing how to connect other items like a signal amplifier and a decoder (such as a Sky box), as well as a VHS/DVD recorder.

SET UP: The guide to the set-up menu in the manual is extremely vague, fortunately there are on screen instructions which you can follow. Not being savvy in this area I admit it took me a minute to work out where the channel was on the TV. Once found I discovered that logging the channels was mostly trial and error - it took me 4 times before I finally managed to save the searched TV channels for results.

MENUS: The menus can be a little daunting when you first see them so I recommend that you keep the manual close at hand until you are use to them. I don't use the machine for photographs, or music so they are not menus I have dealt with.

Once you are use to the menus they are relatively easy to manoeuvre through.

OPERATION: Operating the recorder is quite easy. I found no problems with the remote or the machine, but I don't use it to its full extent. I tend to record while I am watching something else, or to set the record timer for when I am at the hospital or seeing the doctor.

APPEARANCE: It is a neat little black box with a clear display. It did not look out of place and is not too heavy.

PROBLEMS: There are a couple of problems I have noted.

Firstly, it takes a significant time to switch on from stand by (around 30 seconds). This delay may not sound like much but if you need to answer the phone and are watching something via a Freeview TV the wait for the Sagem to start can mean you either miss the call or the program you are watching. One alternative is to leave the machine on all the time rather than being eco-friendly and putting it on stand-by.

Secondly, there is a disconcerting delay between pressing the button on the remote and it taking effect on the recorder. I initially thought that it was the batteries, so I changed them for brand new ones, unfortunately this did not elevate the problem.

Thirdly, copying the programs/films off the machine to a recorder for permanent storage is a pain; you have to try to coordinate the play and record buttons on 2 different machines, with two different remotes.

Once you have filled the hard drive you have to work out what you need to keep and what you can delete or transfer to other media. It is amazing how quickly the hard drive fills up - several films and a couple of series and you find you are running out of space. I blame all the adverts.

Finally, the manufacturers guarantee that comes with the item will no longer be honoured. I discovered this when I phoned their line to initiate the insurance and was told by a very nice lady that the manufacturers no longer offer the guarantee as stated in the box. Shame on them.

OVERALL: A very handy piece of equipment. It is light enough to be movable from one room to another, so if you are unwell and need to stay in bed you can still watch TV and record via the Freeview box - if you are going to do this, however, I would recommend that you get an extra set of cables for connecting to the TV then you don't have to climb round the back of your TV when you are feeling unwell.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]