2.0 out of 5 stars Set up process, 7 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Garmin nuvi 2445LMT 4.3" Sat Nav with UK and Western Europe Maps, Free Lifetime Map Updates and Free Lifetime Traffic Alerts (discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)
I'm already annoyed with this product and I haven't even had the chance to use it yet... the registration and setup process is interminable and error-strewn.

First you have to register the product online - firstly, this required me to update my Microsoft Media Player, which I did and then had to reboot. Fair enough, I suppose, but that was only the start of the journey.

After that, the device registration process hung saying it was gathering device information. Eventually, I got it to work ; then it told me I had a map update to download. I started this process and it crashed, spraying my screen with error messages. I started it again and it got a bit further before failing again.

Anyway, I then tried a different internet browser (used Chrome first time, which is on the supported list for Garmin) . I then followed the instructions for the free lifetime updates, which requires another piece of software to be downloaded and - guess what - that also required some additional .NET Microsoft software to be installed.

Having done all that, the updater software offered me updated maps for Western Europe - but then promptly told me that I needed to insert an SD card into the device because it needed at least 0.3GB more memory! Sadly, I didn't have a blank SD card to hand as I wasn't anticipating this to be needed.

It then offered me options to download a subset so I went for the UK and ROI subset which would fit on the device. It then started the the download - with an estimated time of FOUR HOURS to download.

At the moment it is about half way through - and I have spent a whole morning registering and updating the device and am still at least 2 hours away from it being ready to use... and that's assuming that there aren't more time consuming activities awaiting me before I can take it to my car and use it to do a journey.

Maybe the device will be fantastic once I get to use it, but this startup process is unnecessarily complex and slow... and does this mean subsequent map updates will be as tortuous?

So, based on my experience, I wouldn't buy it unless you are willing to spend the time and effort fiddling about with it on your computer.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]