Very thin pamphlet with some good tips in it,
This review is from: " And Judy Will Run The Cake Stall" . How to Bake for Fundraising without Getting Egg on Your Face. (Paperback)
This is a nice little pamphlet with four pages of tips about running a cake stall. To summarise:
- bake in batches
- traditional favourites always sell well
- be careful about refrigeration
- be careful about hygiene
- wrap the items you sell, while they are on display and also when transporting them
- if you freeze items ahead and then thaw them to sell, make sure they are marked 'do not refreeze'
- try to borrow baker's trays for transportation (I think this one would be tricky these days; I find that fruit boxes from the supermarket are more practical)
- avoid using fresh cream for decoration in hot weather
- package your offerings attractively
- as a guide to pricing: add up the cost of ingredients, add a third of that to cover time and fuel, and then add a third of that total for profit
- you get more profit on three 7 inch cakes than on two 8 inch
- a large cake cut into 12 portions sells for more than if you sold it whole.
The rest of the book (a dozen pages) is a selection of recipes, mostly for the recommended 'old fashioned favourites'.
It's not that easy to get hold of a copy; they come up second-hand from time to time.
I've only given it three stars because it really is a very thin little pamphlet.
(1 customer review)
Out of stock
Top Reviewer Ranking: 447,691