4.0 out of 5 stars `You Keep On Moving' Back to Vinyl, 2010., 3 Nov 2010
This review is from: Come Taste The Band: 35th Anniversary Edition [VINYL] (Vinyl)
My own memory of this vinyl release of `Come Taste the Band' back in 1975 was very positive. From the initial disappointment that Richie Blackmore had left the MK3 line-up we got a great Rainbow debut album and in addition Deep Purple continued. At least in the short term, we got an excellent MK4 DP Line-up and debut album. The rest is now history.

I still have an original 1975 vinyl copy on `Purple Records' engineered by Martin Birch (often referred to as the sixth member of the band), which still plays very well. I recently did my own, non-studio, clean up with a much deserved steam and vacuum clean on my VPI machine. This gave the sound a further turbo charging. I also have the 1990 CD version, which does not compete anywhere near sonically with the original vinyl. I have always believed this `Come Taste the Band' album on vinyl had excellent sound quality and all the songs were very underrated.

I was again interested to hear how technology has moved on with vinyl and conduct a back to back comparison original vs. re-master vs. re-mixes. I have previously reviewed the `Stormbringer' 2009 re-mastered vinyl and found it very disappointing vs. my original vinyl copy.

So to the 2010 re-master/remixed vinyl: Packaging is an excellent, double gatefold restored as per original with reinforced hinge and thicker cardboard cover to protect the heavyweight vinyls. Cardboard inner sleeves are used to hold the records, which I always replace with plastic coated, antistatic paper sleeves. There are excellent, in-depth notes and coloured photographs on the cardboard inner sleeves. The lyric sheet present in the original vinyl (and CD) is missing.

The records weighed in at 190/198g vs. 116g for the original. Record 1 is perfectly flat, record 2 has a slight ripple on the edge. I am still not convinced that heavy weight vinyl is an major factor influencing sound quality. I think it is more a marketing technique to try & justify the high price charged. On the vinyl we get the original 9 songs re-mastered on record 1 and the Kevin Shirley remixes on record 2. The two bonus tracks released on the new CD are missing.

I tested the records back to back in the order: original, re-master then re-mixes with side 1, then same sequence with side 2. Same record deck/amp/speakers, volume setting etc on the amp. I cleaned both the re-mastered and remixed records with my standard three-solution wash on the VPI machine to remove any silicone pressing residues to optimise the sound quality.

The results showed the re-master is by far the quietest and the most compressed vs the original. It lacks the dynamic range and impact of the original on both sides of the album. Ok the re-master has less of the fuzzy, treble sound found on the original but this comes at the price of loosing some high frequency sound. Again in my view as with `Stormbringer', the re-masters are inferior in sound quality and disappointing vs. the original vinyl.

As to be expected, the remixes sound very different vs the original and it is like listening to a new album. Ian Paice's drums sound like they have dynamite under them as are very pronounced in the mix giving it a much heavier sound. Tommy Bolin's guitar is also higher in the mix vs. the original. I think these remixes are excellent and complement the original vinyl perfectly. Not sure why but on side 4 of these remixes the order of the tracks has changed with `You Keep on Moving' track 1 and `Drifter' track 5. It takes a while to adjust to this different running order.

In conclusion, vs. the original vinyl, the re-mastered version is inferior in sound quality. The remixes are excellent and compliment the original perfectly.

After my experience would I still recommend this 2010 vinyl package? Yes, for the remixes and the informative, extensive sleeve notes/photographs. If you want to check out how the original should sound on vinyl, I recommend purchasing a second-hand copy in good condition, which can still be obtained at a reasonable price in many second-hand vinyl outlets.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 9 Nov 2010 17:45:47 GMT
Mr Blackwell says:
excellent review. Re the no lyric sheet,my original vinyl copy(usa import on warner bros) came with inner sleeve with lyrics on,just assumed all original pressings had lyrics/inner sleeve.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Nov 2010 00:59:04 GMT
R. Pievaitis says:
hi mine did and i bought a first day vinyl release,there was a printed innner with lyrics on and i lived in leeds back then and bought it at w.m.morrsions supermarket in morley,leeds,uk.

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Jan 2011 01:24:46 GMT
P. Kelly says:
Thanks for your comments. Sorry, it does not read correctly and I now corrected. My original has a lyric sheet but this re-mastered version does not. I find this disappointing for the price but I guess as original owning veterans we know them very well by now.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›