5.0 out of 5 stars A perfect compromise, 21 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Canon PowerShot G12 Digital Camera (High Sensitivity 10 MP, 5x Zoom) 2.8 Inch Vari-angle Purecolor LCD - (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Camera)
I'm a professional photographer and brought this camera for those occasions when lugging around a 5+kg DSLR/lens combo just isn't practical.

So after much interent research (as we all do these days) I decided to go for the G12 and am very pleased I did. I also own the Lumix LX3 but the G12 feels so much nicer to hold and use and the manual controls are a dream (no fiddly menu system).

The inclusion again of the front jog wheel is genius (why did Canon ever remove it?!?!) and the ability to use my flashguns and ST-E2 on the hot shoe are just an added bonus.

Image quality is fantastic and noise is kept in check even at higher ISO settings for a sensor this small. Of course it's not going to out-perform a 1D MkIV with a £1.5K prime lens but that's the compromise for portability.

It may be that I'm too used to large DSLRs but it doesn't feel that big to me either and fits in my trouser pocket just fine. Perhaps I just have big trousers!

[Add comment]
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 2 Jan 2011 19:15:10 GMT
curlygirl says:
I currently have the Canon S5 IS and I am thinking of selling it and getting the G12. Would you say the G12 is the better camera even though the zoom is only 5x ?

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Jan 2011 15:47:45 GMT
D. Jones says:
Hi, I don't know about the IQ of the S5 but what I can say is that every time I pick up my G12 I am delighted by its performance. IMO it's by far the best compact CCD camera on the market at the current time (Jan 2011).
It isn't for everyone though as it can be quite unforiviging if you have it on the wrong settings, so a bit of camera knowledge is required to get the best out of it.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Jan 2011 11:50:48 GMT
curlygirl says:
Thanks for your comment. I might go and test it out in a store.

Posted on 18 Jan 2011 05:23:50 GMT
I liked your review. But, how fast is this Camera at taking a Picture? My Nikon D200 is instant. But I have found all compacts I have used very slow. There seems to be a time lag between pushing the shutter and the picture being taken. If someone moves in the picture you are taking, the picture is often not what you expected.
Thanks if you can reply.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Feb 2011 14:10:53 GMT
D. Jones says:
Hi William, one of the main reasons I bought this camera was to photograph my kids, who never stop for a second, and I can honestly say I haven't noticed any lag in taking photos of them as they dash around. I haven't felt the need to reach for the SLRs which is a big tell for me.

However as I've said above, you can have the camera on the wrong settings for the type of shot required (e.g. shutter speed too slow for a 'freeze action' shot) but that's another matter entirely so a bit of camera knowledge is needed.

For portability it just can't be beaten. It's my go-to camera when out and about with kids. I love it.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Jun 2011 17:14:39 BDT
TW Rogers says:
I was very tempted by the G12 but opted instead for the Lumix LX5. See the DP Review test which puts these and the Nikon P7000 together in a head to head. Very difficult to chose between them. Each has plus points over the other. In the end I went for the LX5 because of the image quality - which is really excellent - and the video controls which are way ahead of the other two. That said, a friend of mine has just produced a promotional video using his G12 and the results are very good indeed. If you are looking for a top spec and portable compact you won't regret buying any of the above. Check out the Olympus XZ 1 which has the brightest and fastest lens in this category at 1.8. A real belter.

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Jul 2011 14:14:25 BDT
D. Jones says:
It certainly is goods times for us consumers :)
I was tempted by the LX5 recently but the manual controls on my G12 won out again.
I've also been keeping a keen eye on the progress in the 'Four Thirds' market but once I start to consider inter-changeable lenses I feel like I might as well go the whole hog and carry one of my SLRs.
I can't wait to see what will be available to us in 5 years! LX5 quality in the iPhone 12......

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Jan 2012 16:06:11 GMT
AH says:
If you haven't decided yet, after owning a Canon G3 I bought an S5 IS, and I was disappointed with the image quality. As the G3 is so old now in todays terms, I'd imagine the G12 image quality is much better than an S5 IS. Canon have just announced the G1X, which is similar to the G12 but with a larger sensor (and therefore larger camera). It might be worth looking at too. I'm waiting another few months to see if there's a G13 before I replace my S5 IS...

Posted on 22 Mar 2012 21:36:50 GMT
Marc says:
Thanks for your excellent review. I was particularly interested to read that the G12 is compatible with your flashguns. I would be delighted if I could find a good quality pocket digital camera which is compatible with the Metz 60CT-1 flashgun, which is cable triggered (no hot shoe). (I have tried triggering the 60CT-1 with a slave drive but images tend to be over-exposed)
Thanks again, Marc

In reply to an earlier post on 21 May 2012 16:04:29 BDT
Last edited by the author on 21 May 2012 16:08:33 BDT
j j lake says:
I own a 1Ds2 and a 40D DSLR. In my opinion the G12 is very slow to focus. You can press the shutter, but it doesn't fire. Now if you have pre focused, then it is ok, but that never works for me. Even using the various modes like quick shot and "Pets and kids", the shutter takes an age. Please tell me how it is done! You cant track a fast kid around the living room with this!! Having said all this, I wasn't buying it do do this, but as a half decent camera to take on walks for landscapes when I really cant be doing with the weight of a 1 series camera!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›