1.0 out of 5 stars Bruce must be turning in his grave, 12 Jan 2012
This review is from: The Legend Of Bruce Lee [DVD] (DVD)
As a fan of Bruce Lee for 40 years I've seen my share of good, bad and indifferent documentaries and bio pics. This definitely falls into the category of bad. Imagine Bruce Lee in a 3 hour episode of 'Home an Away' and you get a good idea of the standard of 'The Legend of Bruce Lee'.
Bruce was a man, who in his all to short life pursued the search for truth. Truth in martial arts. Truth in film making. Truth in life (The sculptor chips away at a block of stone to reveal the beauty within). With 'TLoBL' we are treated to lies piled upon conjecture piled upon myth.
There are some great documentaries and books about Bruce Lee's life out there. It's a shame then that the writers and producers of this production seem to have taken a flawed piece of work like 'Dragon, The Bruce Lee Story' and embellished upon it. Here are just two examples of how misguided they are:
1. In 'TLoBL' we are treated to countless scenes of Bruce Lee competing in tournaments. As any fan worth their salt knows although Bruce did demonstrations at tournaments he never actually competed in them.
2. Apparently the producers of 'TLoBL' would also have us believe that Bruce damaged his sacral nerve in a challenge match which ended in him being smashed in the spine with a log. Instead of the weight lifting accident which really caused it.
I'm disappointed that Shannon Lee has lent her name to this production. It gives the film credence it does not deserve.
Bruce Lee was an incredible man who led an incredible life. The truth of his story needs be told. I look forward to the up coming documentary 'I Am Bruce Lee' in the hope that it will provide us with a much needed counter point to drivel like 'TLoBL'.
As an aside I wish reviewers would stop giving dvds 5 stars based on what they think a film will be like instead of giving a considered critique after they've watched it.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 16 Jan 2012 18:44:05 GMT
Nick Whant says:
I wish I had read this review bwfore I bought the dvd... just terrible.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Jan 2012 19:27:09 GMT
John says:
I couldn't agree with your review more and I also echo what Nick said above. I saw this in HMV a couple of days ago on Blu-ray and thought "Yet another film about Bruce Lee?". I only bought it cos I saw that it had been produced by Bruce's daughter and so thought it must be good. I am sitting here now, having just watched only the first 25 minutes, and stopped the film to come and read these reviews to see what others thought of it and to decide whether I should even watch the rest of it. I have also been a Bruce Lee fan for over 30 years and practised martial arts for many years as a result of this. This film was described on the box thus "...his story has never before been told so faithfully or so completely". Faithfully?? You've gotta be kidding me. Your points 1 and 2 are exactly what was in my mind, so I knew this film was not accurate right from the opening scene. I know that injuring your back whilst weight training is not a very exciting event to portray in an action film, but at least it would have been the truth. What an insult to fans this film is, and sad that Shannon Lee thinks that this is the way to remember her father. He led an amazing enough life without having to make stuff up. I also had no idea that this film has been put together from a Chinese TV show (as other reviewers have stated). Can I bear to watch the remaining 2.5 hours?

Posted on 6 Feb 2012 12:45:24 GMT
Joe Bloggs says:
Like others, I wish I had read the reviews on here before buying the DVD. What a load of unadulterated, cheap looking rubbish. I only managed to watch a few minutes of it - I shan't be watching the rest!

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Apr 2012 23:02:13 BDT
Joseph_NZ says:
I haven't watched the DVD itself, but I have just finished watching the Chinese TV show that spawned it (all 50 episodes!) over several weeks - it has been playing on a Chinese satellite station. Yes, a lot of it is cheesy and not historical. As to whether you should watch the rest of it, I can only say that the fight scenes are very well choreographed and exciting, even if there may be some wire work. I would watch it even just for that.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

2.5 out of 5 stars (34 customer reviews)

£15.99 £2.49