ARRAY(0xa3dc23c0)

3.0 out of 5 stars Where did they go?, 11 April 2007
This review is from: Make This Your Own (Audio CD)
Oh, dear.

On first hearing "Damage" sometime last year, I remember that horrible cold feeling that I got when I realised that the band I knew so well and loved dearly were changing. For the worse, in my humble opinion. I'm one of those die-hard Coopers fans, maybe I'm pretentious, maybe I don't like my favourite band becoming more mainstream, I'm still going to try and keep this review a useful guide to people wanting this album, rather than a rant!

Okay - if you've never heard any Cooper Temple Clause before, you'll probably think this album's great. Buy it, you'll love it. Especially if you also like Placebo.

If you're an existing Coopers fan, buy it anyway - but don't expect the hard, driving, gritty rock infused with industrial techno and electronica that we've been savouring these last few years. The "okay" tracks on this album have all the ingredients of a classic Coopers number - they've just somehow been put together wrongly. Too over-produced, too clean. "Damage" and "Homo Sapiens" were UTTERLY SPECTACULAR live, but on this recording they are weak, flaccid, and easy to ignore.

And don't get me started on the whiny emo rubbish that is "Waiting Game". Dan Fisher has the most irritating nasal voice - Ben's predatory growl is sorely missed on this track, as it is on many others. He sounds different, it could just be the production again. Also, the overall balance is different - the vocals used to be thoroughly integrated with all the other instruments, now they sit right on top and it's too "poppy" for my tastes.

The best tracks on this album in my opinion are "Head" (at least a decent balance between their old style and their new style, and some nice twinkly guitar over a heavy, electronic dirge which works well) and "Once More With Feeling" - definitely more like the Coopers as we once knew them. "All I See Is You" is also more like the old style, but it's fairly average by their standards.

Boys, you could have been so much more. This album could alienate a lot of die-hard fans - it's already being referred to as the "sell-out album". I hope this offering brings you the fame and fortune you crave, but don't expect us to love you for it.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]