1.0 out of 5 stars What A Disappointment, 14 May 2013
This review is from: Dead Ever After: A True Blood Novel (Sookie Stackhouse 13) (Hardcover)
Such an epic disappointment. Not that I expected much after the last couple of books, but I thought CH might bring out the big guns for the final book. Looks like she dragged out a water pistol.

*****SPOILER ALERT******

Yes, I'm an Eric fan and I would have liked to see them somehow have their HEA...But...I am reasonable enough to realise that that probably wasn't going to happen. First, let me say that I've read hundreds of these reviews. I truly wanted to see if the way I was feeling was just me or the general feeling amongst the fan base. What I've found and what really annoys me is the presumption by some of the 5 star fans (and they've actually mentioned it) that we're all bitching about Eric. NO, we're not. Again and again (ex)fans are saying the same thing...the gist of which is that while it's disappointing that Sookie didn't end up with Eric, we could have accepted it if there had been ANY logical build up to Sam. We're saying that the book was sloppily thrown together; that CH had an ending in mind at around book 2 and so-help-her she was ending it that way even if the story and characters had really found a voice of their own and diverged from that ending...she was going to finagle, forget continuity, change lore, anything to get her ending; that the premise/mystery was poorly thought out and that CH threw anyone that had ever been in the books into the mix to act as filler with no real need for them to be there (especially as she's supposedly letting us know all that in the coda out in October).

I'm incredibly disappointed that there was no real, mature and emotional "ending" for Eric and Sookie. OK, so they couldn't be together...so let them have a mature discussion and have them realise that, say their goodbyes, voice their regrets...goddamn it...just a bloody hug would have been nice....but noooo, we have an emotionally immature reaction from Sookie (and a totally out of character threatening, sulky attitude from Eric) and a slamming door. Real mature *snort*. Oh yes, I can certainly see how Sookie has matured through the series, NOT! And no, I'm not saying Eric doesn't have his faults, and realistically Sookie probably needed a "man" who could live with her in the sun, father children etc, but I'd rather have seen her alone than settling for Sam. Because settle she did. Nice safe, boring Sam.

CH has made no bones about the fact that she's never understood the fans love of Eric. What I can't understand is that she created and wrote him as a heroic, but flawed, bad-boy character, with dazzling good looks, a ready smirk and grin, a sense of humour, a real presence, and a habit of taking bullets for Sookie. Yes, he hid things from Sookie but at least he always told her the truth. And lets not forget the "gracious plenty" and what he could do with it. What did she expect us to do? What's not to like? Sookie fell in love with him, why wouldn't we?

After the promise of the first 8/9 books, the progress Sookie made in accepting herself and making an effort to grow and learn, it was sad to see such a promising heroine close herself off to possibilities. To slide back into her mundane little existence and her mundane little job; to a relationship with someone who never gave her the credit due her intelligence, treated her like a child and generally took her a bit for granted. But in saying that, I never really liked Sookie all that much anyway. I never saw what ever Eric, Alcide, Quinn and Bill did. I found her childish, self-centred, whiney, ungrateful, self-righteous, hypocritical and sanctimonious. I could go on...and on. And I have to wonder about CH's ideas on rape. How could she have Sookie forgive, be friendly with and even kiss her rapist????? Bit of a slap in the face for victims everywhere. Just saying!

I only continued reading the series because of the developing relationship with Eric. He's the one who enticed me to keep reading the series. He's probably the greatest character she'll ever create and she destroyed him (and in my mind Sookie as well). So a big boo to Ms Harris for her treatment of him in the last book and for the piss-poor writing effort that she obviously didn't care about after book 8 or so. Never picking up another book of hers again. Wouldn't risk having another series of hers end in the same disappointment. Find your HEA in fanfic. There's some fantastic, well written stories out there.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 13 Jun 2013 11:46:57 BDT
Last edited by the author on 13 Jun 2013 11:54:43 BDT
Hi Maggie

I just thought I'd say that your review was brilliant. It was extremely well written and entertaining. I'm glad I read the book before reading your review but what you say is totally justified. I cannot understand why no one else has commented on it. Maybe because of the spoiler alert?

I too was very disappointed in the end and could not understand how or why she did what she did to Eric. Your description of Sookie was excellent. Sookie's idea of love certainly does not match mine. She seemed to recover from all her affairs of the heart with alacrity!

It would appear that Charlene had no idea for whom she was actually writing nor how much her readers would care about the outcome. I'm sad at the ending having invested so much time on reading her novels - perhaps Charlene should have re-read them before finishing the final book on such a low!

I have just checked and note that this is your only review. I encourage you to write more; your reviews would be worth reading. I have read so many that are badly written with atrocious grammar and spelling errors that is a treat to read one as well penned as yours!

Regards

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Jun 2013 13:50:37 BDT
MaggieD says:
Thank you so much Sue. I have actually penned at least another half dozen reviews. I don't know why you can't find them. I did recently change my pen-name so perhaps that is why you can't find them. Look under "Lover at Last" by JR Ward. I did a short one for that book under my name Margaret Dollery. Usually my reviews are quite short but I just felt so strongly about the disappointment I felt about DEA that before I knew it, it was several paragraphs long. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Jun 2013 21:46:35 BDT
Hi Again Maggie

I've just gone through the 200 reviews on Amazon UK looking for your review but no luck! Could your reviews be on Amazon USA? I was trying desperately not to read the reviews as I haven't got it yet! I have the whole series in paperback and so didn't want to spoil it with a hardback copy. I am very tempted to get it on Kindle but I will be patient!

I adore the Black Dagger Brotherhood. In my opinion the best vampire series ever. Wrath is my favourite. JR Ward is in my own private top five authors list.

I like your reading taste by the way! Have you ever read any of Evangeline Anderson's stories? She writes in multiple genres and has just started a new vampire series. She has a brilliant imagination Her Brides of the Kindred books are very good. Erotic science fiction with touches of comedy.

I would love to read some more of your reviews if you can find them for me!

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Jun 2013 05:03:26 BDT
MaggieD says:
Oh silly me. Of course my others are on the US Amazon. Doh! I love, love, love BDB. It's my fave vampire series too. I'd have to say Wrath, Zhadist and V are my faves. I have hundreds of vampire and werewolf books. I love paranormal romances. And yes, I've read the Kindred series. It's great. Laurell K Hamilton, Sherrilyn Kenyon, Lynsay Sands, Kelley Armstrong, Patricia Briggs, Eileen Wilks and MaryJanice Davidson are some of my favourite authors. But there's just so many great books and series out there.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Jun 2013 05:23:59 BDT
Hi
I also rate Zhadist and V. I'd forgotten about them! I think I'll read the whole series again soon.
I read Sherrilyn Kenyon and I've head of most of the others but I've not read any of their books. I'll be looking at them soon. Thanks Maggie.

Regards,

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Jun 2013 05:30:57 BDT
Ansdell Lass says:
Just looked at Amazon US and there are nearly 2000 reviews on Lover at last. Just to narrow it down a bit, could you please say how many stars you gave it?

Thanks,

Posted on 15 Dec 2013 10:32:32 GMT
Jess says:
Thank you very much for this review, I had heard the last book was awful, and I have been looking to get it just because its part of the series and I wanted to see how it ends, but you summed it up so well and made me not want to waste my money! Cannot believe she ends up with Sam, what a let down!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.1 out of 5 stars (717 customer reviews)

18.99 9.50