5.0 out of 5 stars Finally.. A streamer that WORKS., 25 Jan. 2012
This review is from: WD TV Live Media Player (Accessory)
Ordered this item on the weekend and took two days to arrive, and packaged very well (Amazon always packages exceedingly well!) I read reviews about this one and the Hub version, but as I already have many 1TB drives (and read that the internal drive kept on failing for people in the Hub version) I went for this one.

Now, I've been looking for a decent streamer for a LONG time. I have PS3's, a 360, an Apple TV, an Xtreamer Ultra, NONE work as well as this little box does.

Firstly, it plays everything. My PS3 was lacking this (even jailbroken) as was my Apple TV, the Xtreamer Ultra is shambles (selling it), and the 360 stuttered. This little box played all my HD, mkv formats, smoothly, and what surprised me even more, is that it streamed a 720p .mkv from my MacBook Pro wirelessly, with no lag or stuttering! My PS3 can't even handle 720p movies unless it's plugged via ethernet, but both my laptop AND PS3 must be hooked via ethernet in order for streaming to be fluid. This is a MAJOR plus point, and i'm really very impressed.

Secondly, it detects all my NAS storage and connects well, including my WD World Edition MyBook. It does however take time to index files from external HDD's, which can get a bit annoying, as the interface lags a bit due to it and at one point it got stuck and didn't move till I disconnected my HDD. I'm sure this will be fixed in a FW update. But it indexes files fine from my HDD's and shows all the clips and thumbnails.

Thirdly, Apps. They work well with the UI, I have Spotify premium and i'm using it all the time now, works really well! Haven't tried the other apps, but i'm sure they are as good. I like the colour co-ordination in the apps which matches the UI. UI is fluid and is good for a Media Player.

Lastly, should you buy this? Yes. Don't waste your money on things which won't work out of the box, don't spend hundreds on sophisticated items, you simply need one little box which does it all. Reason I chose this over the Apple TV (for all the fan boys out there) is because I can't be bothered to jailbreak it and install apps etc, it has no external HDD support and even though it's an Apple product, it's pretty much useless to me as I have all my media on HDD's, I don't rent.

So, this is a worthwhile investment, you don't need an ethernet connection to stream fluidly (perhaps a good connection though, mine is 20MB), if you want an ethernet connection and have no port in your room I suggest you get the WD Livewire, or TP-LINK ethernet plug. I have the TP-LINK one and works perfect with all my stuff.

Overall:

- Streams Movies, HD and SD, amazingly well with no stuttering
- Apps are great, work well
- UI is user friendly
- Expandable, ext HDD friendly
- Does what it says on the tin.

5/5 Stars, well done WD!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 11 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 30 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 26 Jan 2012 09:16:45 GMT
K V Paul says:
Hello,
How is the quality of Youtube in this? Is there any option of selecting SD or HD? I ordered Sony SMP-n200 and totally disappointed and returned back. Thinking to get this. Can we stream Lovefilm on this as I am having an account with them? How about the Wireless signal, my router is in the upstairs. And also can we connect external keyboard, some sites tell so. Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Jan 2012 14:25:06 GMT
AffanB says:
Hi! Thanks for reading my review, I've looked at everything you've asked about and firstly, there are two YouTube Apps, can get a bit confusing because one app is just random YouTube videos (no interface for you to select anything, just search or watch random vids) and one is the main App (called YouTube Videos) and it works rather well, has colour theming again, and you can enter your username etc and get all your videos and subscriptions. However you can't watch them in HD like you can on your computer, I watched a video on my 32" LG LED TV and didn't look HD, but that said, wasn't that pixelated either! I'm afraid you can't stream LoveFilm yet, there is no app for it, but you can stream Netflix and Flixster, if I was you I would ask WD if they are going to add Lovefilm into this.

Wireless signal is fine, my router is downstairs, under my staircase in a mini-basement, and I get near to full signal so I don't really have any issues, if yours is upstairs it should be better? And yes you can connect an external keyboard, even a wireless one. Hope this helped!

Cheers

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Jan 2012 16:01:35 GMT
K V Paul says:
Thank you mate! I will buy one of this after Amazon processed my refund.

Posted on 27 Jan 2012 13:38:34 GMT
Harkaway says:
Very helpful review. Any chance you can give a more complete list of the apps or point me to this information elsewhere?

Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Jan 2012 00:04:52 GMT
AffanB says:
Hi mate,

from the top of my head, there are about 23 apps. Spotify, YouTube, Vimeo, iPlayer, Facebook, Flickr, Netflix, Flixster, Accuweather, Mediafly, Live365, Deezer, Picasa and others!

Cheers :)

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Jan 2012 00:42:06 GMT
Thanks for this.

I have two earlier models and am trying to figure out whether the upgrade can be justified. These apps are an improvement on the ten that are on the last version: Accuweather, Deezer, Facebook, Flickr, Flinga, Live365, Mediafly, Pandora, Tunein and Youtube.

This is a great product!

In reply to an earlier post on 28 May 2012 11:50:58 BDT
tonybullo says:
So you can get Netflix on this player? what other subscribing movies can u get besides Netflix.Also how good is it in HD let me know and how long is the warranty for when u buy it new
Can u attach a usb or wireless keyboard to it?

In reply to an earlier post on 28 May 2012 18:18:49 BDT
Harkaway says:
You can get Netflix, but I haven't tried it yet. It also has Flixster and SnagFilms, neither of which is that exciting.
In terms of webvideo, you can get ComedyTime, DailyMotion, Flingo, Vimeo, WatchMojo, and two interfaces with YouTube. The older interface is easier to use if you want to sign into YouTube on line, save videos to watch and then screen them through the WDTV Live. The newer one may have better screen quality, but I find it more fiddly to use.
For music, there is Deezer, Live365, Shoutcast.Radio, Spotify and Tunein.
Sports features American stuff: MLB.TV, SEC Digital Network and Top College Sports. Flickr, Picasa, Facebook and AccuWeather are also available.
You can use it with a wireless keyboard, which would make direct searching of YouTube easier.
Oh, and of course, there's the BBC I-Player, which works very well.

I still find this a great product, but I mainly use it for streaming video from my computer, but it does that easily. I think the warranty is one year, but I couldn't swear to it. I've had no trouble with any of the models I've bought. It could be improved by having more apps (Lovefilm, 4onDemand, etc.), but works well.

Hope this answers your question.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Jun 2012 01:42:48 BDT
D. Kingston says:
Hi mate.

I'm looking to replace my PS3 which I use for streaming with this.

I was wondering, can you access different folders from your PC on this WD Player like you can on the PS3?

I was streaming faultlessly with my PS3 since febuary (after pirchasing TP Link adapters) but the last few weeks audio just stops and gets all out of sync. And then just stops playing.

And also, does this player support the dreaded Cinavia audio watermark?

Thanks in advance.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Jun 2012 12:41:06 BDT
Harkaway says:
First, I have no experience with the PS3, so I can't do a proper comparison.

However, it does work from folders in a very straightforward manner (there are, in fact, a couple of ways you can set it up).

I don't know anything about the Cinavia audio watermark, so I hope someone else will be able to help you out.

You might also find it helpful to visit the WD website and download the manual. Also if you look under community on the website, you can go to the WD forums and there might be someone with an answer to the Cinavia query.

They have also recently added an interface with Slingbox, which some may find appealing.

Good luck with your quest.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›