ARRAY(0xa6d67e64)

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected 3.5 stars, 26 Oct 2009
This review is from: Haunted: Number 5 in series (Otherworld) (Paperback)
Haunted is the fifth book in the Women of the Otherworld series and has been out for years. I've read all the other books in the series, both before and after this one, but until recently this has sat untouched on my shelf. I didn't much like Eve when she appeared in the previous book, so I wasn't interested in reading a story entirely about her. But I'm currently leading the series to a friend of mine, and I decided I couldn't lend her Haunted without reading it myself first.

Haunted is different to the other books in the series because it takes place in more than one world. And in each world, there are different rules about what is and isn't possible in them. It gets a bit tiring having constant world changes, but I didn't really have a problem keeping the rules for each one straight, so it could have been worse.

I did really quite like this story, although it's not my favourite of Kelley's work. Eve's character grew on me a lot as I followed her struggles. Eve wants nothing more than to find a way to interact with her daughter, Savannah, to still be able to protect her, despite being dead. When the Fate's call in their favor, she hopes it could bring her a way to do just that. But Kristof Nast, Savannah's father (also deceased) would love for Eve to just accept she's dead and make a life with him on the other side, leaving Savannah behind. Eve's task also gets her involved with the Angels. And like the Fates, they seem to have their own agenda for Eve. One thing is for sure, Eve won't play by anyone else's rules. She'll complete her favor, as promised, but she's going to do it her way, no matter what anyone else tells her.

Overall, a really good read. Elena Michaels is still by far my favourite of Kelley's characters/narrators, but Eve's got a fun, sharp tongue and her brake the rules attitude makes for an entertaining read. Also gives us a good chance to see another part of Kelley's world and other characters from a different point of view.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 21 Apr 2010 14:04:14 BDT
S Noble says:
How strange, I too stalled at Haunted, it sat unread for a while but since I was determined to read all the otherworld series in order I pushed on. I really loved it! It gave Eve and Kris allot more depth than I thought possible even having read on-line the story of them meeting which has just been released in the short stories collection "Tales of the Otherworld".
I noticed when I bought new books that you reviewed most things I enjoyed. When I have the anti-climax of a book ending and not knowing what to read next I look at your reviews. Thanks!!! Do you tweet or FB?

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Jul 2010 18:51:03 BDT
Claire Mill says:
Hey, apologies don't always catch comments on reviews here! I can be found on twitter, cem_214, I blog my book reivews, then post them here as well, but I link new reviews on the blog on twitter, which is the best place to get ahold of me.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.3 out of 5 stars (38 customer reviews)

Used & New from: 0.01