4.0 out of 5 stars Good But Not as Good as I Hoped, 11 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Lothaire (The Immortals After Dark Series Book 12) (Kindle Edition)
This review is actually for the hardback edition but as Amazon says it hasn't been released yet it won't let me post a review. Even though I pre-ordered it off Amazon and received it yesterday!

I'm not going to give away any spoilers as I don't want to ruin it for anybody. But here's a short blurb.

Lothaire, as we all know is the `Enemy of Old'. He is the bastard child of the King of the Horde. He promised his Dacian vampire mother before she was tortured and killed that he would slay his father so the Horde will swear fealty to Lothaire. He then plans to unite the Dacian and Horde kingdoms together.

Elizabeth is from a poor mining family in the Appalachian Mountains. She became possessed by a demon Saroya at the age of 19 and has been fighting to get rid of her ever since. She is strong enough to keep Saroya hidden deep but every now and again she manages to break free and during these times kills and mutilates people. Elizabeth therefore ends up on Death Row.

When Lothaire meets Elizabeth he becomes blooded but he assumes his bride is Saroya not Elizabeth as fate wouldn't be so unkind as to give him a mortal bride. Therefore he needs to find a magical ring which will extinguish Elizabeth's soul thus allowing Saroya to take full possession of the body and Lothaire can then make her immortal by turning her into a vampire.

I really enjoyed this book, though it's not as good as I'd hoped it would be. This is the book all `Immortals' readers have been waiting for, the same as `Acheron' by Sherilyn Kenyon. When something is as hotly anticipated as these books they very rarely live up to expectations.

For those of you who are trying to work out who the heroine is, don't bother, Elizabeth is a complete newcomer. And I quite liked her, even with her trailer trash background and inability to speak properly. She uses the word `yourn' instead of `your' a lot which I found quite annoying. She is in parts feisty and vulnerable and used to like to `park' with boys, a lot! Though she is a virgin, of course!

Now Lothaire, I've loved him in previous books, evil, antagonistic, murderous, sarcastic. He's not really evil in this book, doesn't really do anything too bad, though I suppose Ms Cole had to tone it down a bit otherwise he wouldn't make a very good hero! He does the usual nasty things to the heroine but he mostly redeems himself in the end. Though if I was her, a couple of things he did, I would have left him staked out for the sun.

The main problem I had with this book is that all the problems are wrapped up without too much effort. I'm not going to give away any spoilers but one of the main issues of the book? Oh, she's turned up and it just so happens there's a history there and she's going to do that to her which sorts that out, great. Oh, and the place he wants to find? Sorted, they'll take him. And, that thing he wants to do with that? No effort involved and it works out perfectly. It all seemed too easy really.

There are also a couple of errors, the most glaring was during a sex scene where he ejaculates over his stomach although she's currently performing oral sex on him! Don't know how that works unless she's got a hole in the back of her head. The sex scenes were very sexy as you would expect with Ms Cole, no complaints there at all.

To sum up, I really enjoyed this book but it didn't blow my mind like I was hoping it would. There are a few new characters introduced (Dacian Vampires) and I think from trawling the internet that they may be part of a new series? I would very much like to read a series about them as they sound very interesting.

I would recommend people getting this book, it is well worth a read. Just don't expect any serious issues that need to be resolved with old characters like in previous books. You hardly hear about the old characters at all, a couple turn up for a page or two but nothing major. Mainly Nix, who is getting worse and I think her head is about to explode.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 12 Jan 2012 10:54:10 GMT
Ren Warom says:
Please make sure your industry knowledge is correct and do not blame authors for publisher decisions such as release slots. These slots are fixed way ahead of release and are pretty much non-negotiable. Not to mention that hardback issues, if they are being printed, are generally released before paperbacks, that's the way it's been for many decades. Why complain that Ms Cole has managed to make a terrific step upward in the ladder of her writing career? You're supposed to be a fan. You're supposed to root for her, not moan about your wallet. If you want the cheaper version, then wait for it. Waiting for a book is not a hardship. Shame on you.

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Jan 2012 11:29:23 GMT
Last edited by the author on 12 Jan 2012 11:46:58 GMT
Donna Myers says:
You're saying I'm supposed to root for her and not moan about my wallet?! Why is that? Yes, I am a fan of Ms Cole's work and I own every book she's ever written, that doesn't mean I'm going to kiss her a**se!

Whether it was her decision or the Publishers the fact is this is book 11 in a series and it's the first one where the hardback has been released 8 months before the paperback. And the reason for that? Ms Cole AND the Publisher know that the fans are clamouring for it. Therefore they have capitalised on that to make the most amount of money they could by releasing the hardback 8 months before the paperback, knowing that the fans will pay out the extra as they don't want to have to wait.

Now I understand Authors write books to make money, I have no problem with that, as I said I own every book she has ever written and I paid full price for them, none of them were second hand. What I don't like is that on this occasion I had to buy the hardback instead of the paperback as it was released 8 months before. And yes you're right, I could have waited, but why should I? Every other book in the series I have been able to buy straight away so why shouldn't I be able to do so for this one?

Shame on you for thinking we should just go along with decisions like this and accept whatever is thrown at us. Ms Cole is only where she is now because of her fans therefore I don't like people taking advantage.

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Jan 2012 11:54:48 GMT

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Jan 2012 12:50:45 GMT
Donna Myers says:
Erm, can I just point out, I am not the one making a fuss about it, you are!

You can spout industry knowledge to me all you want but I and other fans of this series know how hotly anticipated this book is/was and therefore this has been capitalised on.

Ms Cole can do whatever she likes; I'm not expecting her to bow down to me any more than I would bow down to her. But if a decision has been made to squeeze as much money out of me as possible then I am well within my rights to complain about it. And who are you to say otherwise?! You obviously have a very high opinion of yourself if you think you are entitled to tell me what I can and cannot say or do.

As I previously stated, every other book in this series, the paperback has come out at the same time as the hardback (if there has been one) and therefore I would expect to be able to order the rest of them the same. You cannot create an expectation and then change the goalposts without people complaining about it.

And saying I won't buy another Ms Cole book - if she continues to release her books in hardback form first to capitalise on her success then I won't be buying any more. I buy enough books as it is without having to buy them in hardback form. Or I will wait and buy them secondhand for 50p and therefore she has lost a sale. There are plenty of other Authors out there that are just as good that don't screw over their fans.

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Jan 2012 13:36:22 GMT
Ren Warom says:
"Can I also just add, I am not happy that I had to buy the hardback version of this book as the paperback version isn't coming out until August. If this is the way Ms Cole is going to treat her fans from now on then I won't be buying any more of her books on principle. I don't like being forced into paying more for a hardback just so I can read the next book in the series I am following. Shame on you Ms Cole."

Definition of fuss: 'A state of excessive and unwarranted concern over an unimportant matter' - stating you won't buy her books in future if she continues to treat her fans the way you think she's treated them when, in fact, as I have pointed out, she had nothing to do with the early release of a hardback, _that_ is making a fuss.

"if she continues to release her books in hardback form first to capitalise on her success then I won't be buying any more."

I'll say _again_, her publishing company decide when hardbacks will be released, not her. She has _no_ say in scheduling matters.

It seems she's as much a victim of her popularity as you are in that, apparently, one impatient fan will refuse to buy her books over something she has no control over. That's pretty darned petty.

I'm done with this, as you continue to fail to understand a simple fact. Buy her books, don't buy them. But don't blame an _author_ for a _publisher's_ decision. It does not reflect well on you, nor on anyone who would make a similar, equally uninformed, complaint.

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Jan 2012 13:37:04 GMT
Donna Myers says:
Can I also just add that other authors are doing this as well? Sherrilyn Kenyon did it with `Acheron' and J R Ward did it with `Lover Unleashed' (this wasn't a hardback but a large paperback and the normal sized paperback came out about 6 months later). She is now also doing it with `Lover Reborn'. The `large' paperback is out on 27th March for £8.39 and the regular paperback is out on 27th November for £5.99.

Once they have sold a certain number of books in the series or they get to the book that all the fans have been waiting for they jump on the hardback or `large' paperback bandwagon. Thus ensuring that they get extra money out of the fans as they know they won't want to wait.

So no, sorry, this isn't just industry standards, this is well thought out `let's make as much money as possible off our fans'. I for one don't have much extra money and therefore cannot afford to buy the large paperbacks or hardbacks. Therefore as soon as an author starts doing this they go on to my secondhand book list as both of the above authors now have and possibly Ms Cole depending on what she's doing with her next book.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Feb 2012 11:32:09 GMT
CS says:
I have to say that regardless of who - publisher or author - makes the money decisions am unhappy with the Kindle price - it is set just below the hardback price and presumably when the paperback becomes available they will drop the kindle price accordingly. I always thought that hardback prices reflected the better quality paper and binding - so keeping the kindle price high just doesn't make sense and is blatant money spinning. And yes, I will be voting with my feet - looking for second hand copies as I type.

Posted on 25 Feb 2012 22:43:03 GMT
Do stop moaning, just wait for it come out in paperback like I do, I cannot afford to buy hardbacks for all my favourite authors so I just wait....basically the author and the publishers have to make a living, presumably Ms Myers has to as well? To say you won't buy the books at all is a bit like a 2 year having a tantrum.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Mar 2012 04:29:09 GMT
Donna Myers says:
Riiight, because what I do has what to do with you?

If you want to wait until the paperback comes out then fine, good for you. But If I want to do what I have always done and buy the book as soon as it is released then I will buy the hardback and then complain about it.

Please crawl back under your rock. Or, better yet, go and kiss Ms Cole's arse like some people seem to think I should be doing.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Mar 2012 22:39:39 GMT
Last edited by the author on 4 Mar 2012 22:40:16 GMT
Sylarah says:
I've been following Kresley Cole, Nalini Singh and J.R.Ward's series for a few years now, and I've definitely noticed the change in the releases of their new books and the price thereoff. You can definitely tell that those authors have gotten even more popular, and that this has altered the release schedules and the book formats available.

While I don't agree with everything that has been said, I definitely think Donna Myers and Anonymous have the right to question the available book formats and the pricing. I especially resent the ridiculous price of Kindle books.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›