5.0 out of 5 stars Incomplete, but extraordinary., 27 Sept. 2005
This review is from: Jimi Hendrix: Live at Woodstock [DVD] [2005] (DVD)
It is incomplete but otherwise extraordinary. Let me explain, through the late 70s and 80s I was one of the largest collectors of Jimi's material in the world. I stayed at Al Hendrix's house in Seattle as well as Noel Redding, Kathy Etchingham and Monica Danneman's house, met Mitch Mitchell and many others, put on the UK's largest Jimi Hendrix Convention in 1984 and had a collection second to only perhaps one or two. My priorities changed in 1985 when I became a Christian. I had Jimi's complete Woodstock gig on audio tape in superb quality just over 20 years ago. For 36 years it was rumoured that the entire gig was filmed but I had to make do with my excellent audio recording. Anyway for me the highlights of the gig were the last 30 minutes from Voodoo Child onwards AND two numbers called 'Gypsy Woman' and 'Call Me Mastermind'. These two songs were sung by Larry Lee and Jimi took a step back and played some remarkable rhythm guitar. Gypsy Woman is the Curtis Mayfield number and Jimi's rhythm is absolutely exquisite as it is on Call Me Mastermind. It made such a pleasant musical break from the otherwise high octane funky blues rock lead guitar which Jimi displays practically all the way through with a touch of flamenco at the end. I really was looking forward to these two numbers so that the world could hear Jimi's awesome rhythm playing and not just his lead work which everybody already knows.
This was the only time Jimi played these two numbers live in concert and the powers that be have omitted them - That's why I am disappointed. I suppose contractual reasons have come into play since they are not Jimi's songs.
I guess I like complete Jimi Hendrix concerts and there is not one that exists on DVD to this day. However for those who are not bothered by this it is definitely 5 STAR. OK, this is Jimi's set list at Woodstock:
1.Message to Love
12.Voodoo Child
13.Star Spangled Banner
14.Purple Haze
15.Woodstock Flamenco Improvisation
16.Villanova Junction Blues (Gorgeous beyond belief)
17.Hey Joe
So what we have missing on the DVD are: 'Call me Mastermind' 'Gypsy Woman' the incredible call and response intro to Hear my Train a'comin' and much banter between the songs which does make it a two hour concert.
However although the extended and experimental band are under rehearsed Jimi really does play some extraordinary guitar which even today nobody has matched. Jimi's fretting technique is astonishing - and notice how he hardly ever looks down at his hands on the neck, a pure natural. Villanova Junction Blues is one of those pieces why Jimi is cited as the greatest and most creative electric guitarist of all time. This really is 5 star all the way.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 4 Jan 2008 17:14:25 GMT
man you rock

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Aug 2009 21:12:09 BDT
Gus Hudson says:
Correction, did rock until 1985 seemingly.

Posted on 14 Jan 2010 15:05:33 GMT
Mr. L.K.V. says:
I knew there were omissions from the, now unavailable, VHS (Barcode: 0 08811 19893 0). Also, two songs which were on the VHS, the first and last, were not visually accompanied by the concert footage, but showed some of the audience at Woodstock and credits. "Message To Love" and "Hear My Train A Comin'" are the first and last songs.

It is interesting to know what is from the original concert, which still doesn't appear fro public purchase via DVD. Seems that they ditched "Hear my Train A Comin'" from the DVD, which is featured, if only in audio, on the VHS.

I wonder how good the quality of the audio is on the DVD compared with VHS. Too often the trend seems to be that when something is "digitally enhanced" for a new format, a lot of the audio quality is binned in the process.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Feb 2010 16:02:26 GMT
You are very welcome Leon. Anything else you would like to know about Jimi?

John

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Feb 2010 16:05:12 GMT
Hi Rory,

Actually I'm still rocking or should we say jazzing ~ as I'm studying and playing jazz guitar these days. I also teach the guitar and have made a CD for charity called: 'A Guitarist's Journey'. You can hear excerpts from it on Youtube by typing in ~ guitar music by john berry

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Feb 2010 20:36:28 GMT
Hi John.
Nice to read your revue,
Yes we have met, many years ago.
Cheers mate.