5.0 out of 5 stars Best gaming keyboard I have ever used, 5 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Logitech Mechanical Gaming Keybord G710+ - UK layout (Accessory)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I love this keyboard. I have spent the last few years using a Microsoft Sidewinder X4 which for the features/price is both fantastic and has served me well. More recently I got my hands on Logitech's G19s. Also a lovely keyboard but a few things put me off. It needed its own power supply and it used membrane switches. In my opinion a keyboard of that calibre should have been mechanical. That's not to say it isn't a good keyboard and the screen is the obvious key feature.

Enter the G710+. In my opinion this keyboard is everything the G19s should have been minus the screen.

Build quality is fantastic. It uses a metal frame and although it has a reassuring weight to it, it isn't too heavy. Aesthetically it is clear that this is gaming keyboard through and through. But as I sit her using it to write this review I am finding it more and more comfortable for writing.

It has a clip on wrist rest and solid riser feet. Though the backlight is only in white I find it looks very good and can be adjusted in stages. The great thing is that the WASD keys and the arrow keys are grey where the rest of the keys are black. This helps you find them in the heat of a game, but rather usefully those keys' backlight can be independently controlled so you can have them brighter/dimmer than the rest. Absolutely fantastic.

There's a bank of 6 macro keys and 3 mode keys giving you access to 18 macros, with the ability ro record on the fly. There's a button to toggle the windows key on and off, great for me as I often hit it during ham-fisted moments on BF4. You need the Logitech gaming software for these but since I already have a Logitech G500 mouse, the software detected the keyboard straight away and I was up and running.

There are a couple of media keys and a roller for volume control which is both handy and fluid to use.

In operation this is my first mech keyboard and I am very pleased with it. There are all different kinds of switches that give differing levels of resistance and feedback. The G710+ uses Brown switches that are a perfect compromise, not too noisy but they also give a not too intrusive `clack' in use. The keys themselves are nicely spaced and I find myself making less errors than when I used to use my X4. I do a bit of html/css and general web coding and I am finding coding on this keyboard surprisingly pleasant. Though long sessions may get a bit tiring on the fingers using these brown switches.

Now for the things I wasn't too keen on.

In order to power the keyboard, it has two usb plugs. This means the keyboard cable is quite thick. Not too much of a problem but I think it would have been nicer had the cable been braided. Though there is USB pass through if you find yourself low on usb ports.

The fonts on the keys for secondary symbols are a bit of an odd choice and as they aren't backlit sometimes hard to see. This is the only thing that detracts from using this kb extensively for productivity rather than gaming in my opinion.

Overall this is a fantastic keyboard that Logitech should be proud of. It is everything the G19s should have been. In fact I don't know why they didn't just slap a screen on this for their their G19s model.

It feels durable and solid and has clearly been well thought out for gamers. Loving BF4 on this right now.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]