2.0 out of 5 stars No subtitles, 27 Mar. 2009
This review is from: The Prisoner [DVD] (DVD)
Its good to see this series again but there are no subtitles on the DVD. As I am deaf I rely on subtitles to follow the story. Luckily a book giving a synopsis of the action is included with the DVD, but this is no substitute for subtitles in realtime.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 17 Apr 2009 02:54:34 BDT
Last edited by the author on 17 Apr 2009 03:00:33 BDT
At first I thought.....who goes there giving the greatest slice of TV ever made a 2 star review, but when I read your reason I had to whip out my DVD set off the shelf and check this.....surely this person is wrong? Surely in this day and age the deaf and hard of hearing would be catered for on a DVD release of this magnitude? The definitive DVD release of The Prisoner? Well....you're correct. There are no subtitles. I think this is a disgrace. I am a hearing person but I'm bloody incensed by this.....as a fan of The Prisoner for 30 odd years I want to know the series is reaching new fans, in the hope people will still be talking about its wonderful allegorical qualities in years to come. I absolutely cannot believe they have selfishly cut off a huge chunk of the population like this. I've a good mind to email the people at Network and give them a piece of my mind.

I know you shouldn't have to because you've already paid your fee and should be enjoying the set with subtitles (I'd have returned them for a refund though if I were you), but I can confirm that the Carlton release of the set which you can still buy here on Amazon (pre-owned off Amazon market place), or on eBay, DOES have subtitles. I owned it for years.....but recently gave it to my brother when I got this set.

Posted on 16 Jun 2009 12:17:43 BDT
Mad Dave says:
I might be wrong but I think there is a way around this. Some media players for the PC like VLC Media Player have a subtitles option that allows you to upload subtitles while you are watching DVD's. opensubtitles.org has subtitles for all the Prisoner episodes, which I believe should work in realtime. Both VLC and the subtitles are free to download (and fully legal) so this may be worth a try (I admit I have never tried it myself but there is a guide on opensubtitles.org that suggests this is quite straighforward.) The only drawback is that you have to watch it on your PC/Laptop, although most computers have a socket that can be linked to a TV. As I say, the last thing I am is an expert or even someone with experience, but certainly it should be possible to get a subtitle track as a file and load it with VLC.

Posted on 29 Jun 2010 03:01:08 BDT
JC says:
Can anyone confirm that the Blu-Ray version has subtitles ? I know that Amazon states that it has but one cannot always rely that they are accurate with their technical details. For example the Bythe Spirit DVD is stated to be in black and white but my copy is in colour.

Posted on 28 Sep 2012 09:25:38 BDT
As my partner's mother tongue is not English subtitles are essential. Why oh why can't they put subtitles on the DVDs? In an ageing population there will be more and more people who are hard of hearing. Subtitles should be obligatory. More people would purchase if there were subtitles.

Posted on 8 Mar 2013 22:41:11 GMT
The Blu-ray edition released in the UK by Network has subtitles for all 17 episodes which makes it puzzling that they didn't carry them over to the corresponding DVD edition.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.6 out of 5 stars (234 customer reviews)

£49.99 £29.99